News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Point is that we leave the police the work of mental health and then a person points a deadly weapon at police ...

What you expect to happen.

Point is that we leave the police the work of mental health and then a person points a deadly weapon at police ...

What you expect to happen.
And leave it up to police to decide what’s a deadly weapon, be it a small hammer or stapler.

Back in Edwardian days Canada, like Britain had men in white coats and a padded truck to confront and apprehend the insane. It was brutal, and often cruel but it wasn‘t a deadly encounter. Can we find a middle ground?

As I said we need to stop getting cops being our social workers in society as for decades we like to avoid and stigmatize mental health.

Like its a fools errand trying to get the police to be front lines to deal with mental health situations.

Last edited:
As I said we need to stop getting cops being our social workers in society as for decades we like to avoid and stigmatize mental health.

Like its a fools errand trying to get the police to be front lines to deal with mental health situations.
And until we have an alternative, people need to stop dialing 911 for help with a mentally ill person, unless you want a state armed response and a good chance of the person ending up dead.

And until we have an alternative, people need to stop dialing 911 for help with a mentally ill person, unless you want a state armed response and a good chance of the person ending up dead.

From link.

"...
The victim's eldest daughter initially called a non-emergency ambulance on Saturday evening because her father was having an "episode," according to Khizar Shahzad, who is also a nephew of the victim.

Once paramedics arrived, they saw that the victim had a knife and called police, Shahzad said.
..."

I have a question though how are we to determine if a person has an actual mental health issue vs a person who just has a knife on the spot?

Like this is a big issue about do we have a mental health database of people who are red flags?

Like this is not an easy fix.

I have a question though how are we to determine if a person has an actual mental health issue vs a person who just has a knife on the spot?

Like this is a big issue about do we have a mental health database of people who are red flags?

Like this is not an easy fix.

See the post above yours.

No, it is not always possible to know in advance what the nature of a call is; but in this case and many others it was.

It is also possible, in many cases, upon arriving at a scene for police to simply contain, a person and await assistance from a trained mental health professional.

CBC's marketplace did a good investigation of the corrupt practices a few years back, and not much has changed since then.

Then again, I think that having the national public broadcaster be the investigative watchdog for corruption in a industry speaks volumes.

[QUOTE="Admiral Beez, post: 1567295, member:
Tow trucks should be provincially licensed, same as bars.
[/QUOTE]

Agree. Back in the early 80s, I was a police supervisor in the GTA and the industry had a fair bit of corruption back then (to be clear, there are some good companies out there). What has changed is the players involved and their propensity for violence, and their 'cross-pollenation' into other areas such a drugs and guns.

The industry is no longer dominated by small one-or-two truck operations running trucks as a side gig.

Community groups demand firing of officer who fatally shot Ejaz Choudry in Mississauga

Family of 62-year-old says they called a non-emergency line, but instead of getting medicine, he ended up dead

Jun 22, 2020

A group of community organizations are demanding the firing of a Peel Regional Police officer who fatally shot a 62-year-old man in a mental health crisis over the weekend.

The National Council of Canadian Muslims (NCCM), the Urban Alliance on Race Relations (UARR) and Muslim Council of Peel will be holding a press conference Monday afternoon to demand the officer be taken off the force "immediately," the NCCM said in a news release Monday.

"The police need to be held to the same level of justice as the rest of us are. There is blood on their hands and the officer who pulled the trigger should never be trusted with a gun or badge again," said UARR's Mohammed Hashim.

Back