News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

TPS has quietly posted its budget online.

Some are sayings its line by line; in my experience, the books will be a lot more detailed than that; but its something.

1595430711498.png

1595430737776.png

1595430754237.png

1595430780937.png

Capital Budget below:

1595430882366.png

This doesn't really belong in this thread.

On the other hand, its a Toronto Police officer, in a physical confrontation, and he didn't shoot the man.........

Whether the content is SFW will depend on your localized prudishness. (not sexual) (but there is nudity)

In recent weeks, cops at 52 division have begun to use the public plaza in front of the station along Dundas (between Simcoe and St. Patrick) as a parking lot for their vehicles again. I recall that about 10 years ago they were publicly shamed for doing so and the local councilor at the time had to step in to put a stop to it. I walk past this station every day and it bothers me that they seem to have randomly decided that it's ok to do this again. Should I reach out to the councilor for the area (I think it's Joe Cressy) or is it a waste of time?

In recent weeks, cops at 52 division have begun to use the public plaza in front of the station along Dundas (between Simcoe and St. Patrick) as a parking lot for their vehicles again. I recall that about 10 years ago they were publicly shamed for doing so and the local councilor at the time had to step in to put a stop to it. I walk past this station every day and it bothers me that they seem to have randomly decided that it's ok to do this again. Should I reach out to the councilor for the area (I think it's Joe Cressy) or is it a waste of time?

Are you on Twitter?

Cressy is.

I think Tweeting and tagging media, Cressy, the Mayor and any member of the police board, along with TPS itself would be the way to go.

This is the sort of thing that requires a public shaming component.

In general I favour thoughtful emails over rash public shaming.

But sometimes, you have to know when the former is likely to get ignored without some help.

Are you on Twitter?

Cressy is.

I think Tweeting and tagging media, Cressy, the Mayor and any member of the police board, along with TPS itself would be the way to go.

This is the sort of thing that requires a public shaming component.

In general I favour thoughtful emails over rash public shaming.

But sometimes, you have to know when the former is likely to get ignored without some help.

I have a Twitter account that I think I logged into once about 5 years ago. Needless to say, I don't remember any of my log-in info. Lately I've been considering creating a fresh account just to be able to reach out to authorities in such cases since it seems to be a fairly common method now.

It couldn't hurt. I did some shaming a decade ago and it seemed to work.

Story from Wendy Gillis at The Star, looking at the latest report from the Ontario Human Rights Commission on racism in policing.

The stats are pretty damning.

They focused on discretionary charges (so not homicide/sexual assault etc.).

But things like drug possession, traffic stops (and charges that occur only from follow-up, as opposed to speeding), and parole violations and the like.

They clearly show a pattern of over-charging.

This is supported by much higher than average charge withdrawal, for Blacks charged with these types of offenses.

Charges against Black people were more likely to be withdrawn and less likely to result in a conviction, according to the report, raising “systemic concerns about charging practices.” Only 1/5 of all charges in the data resulted in a conviction.

That to me is very concerning.

That clearly suggests inappropriate charging.

For the sake of comparison, in general, in adult court, the conviction rate in Canada for all offenses is 62%

The OHRC report is here:

My suggested actions, in a post to follow.

Mayor John Tory has unveiled details about a city report outlining more than 80 recommendations to address systemic racism in the Toronto Police Service.

In a news conference this morning at City Hall, Tory said the Toronto police reforms report will be presented at a virtual Toronto Police Services Board meeting next week.

Tory said the recommendations are divided into 10 themes, including:

• alternative community safety response models
  • police budget and budgetary transparency
  • independent auditing and service accountability
  • selection criteria for a new chief
  • data sharing and information transparency
  • conduct accountability
  • police training
  • consultation with experts and communities
  • building public confidence
  • ensuring change
Of the recommendations, Tory said the most significant include non-police alternatives for community safety, the expansion of the mobile crisis intervention team across all divisions all year long, a review of the current use of force model and the expansion of instances where officers can be suspended without pay.

https://www.cp24.com/news/tory-anno...to-address-racism-in-toronto-police-1.5059681

Here's the report to the Toronto Police Services Board, Aug 18th mtg.

80 odd recommendations.

Several are a bit fuzzy (looking at non-police alternatives for certain calls still doesn't have a timeline, budget or preferred model; though they appear to be heading the right direction)

The MCIT recommendation is good though.

It recommends expansion City-Wide, 24/7 as soon as feasible and to be funded from within the existing police budget.

Our tax dollars--hard at work.

#BREAKING: $16.5M settlement in class-action lawsuit over mass arrests at 2010 G20 summit in Toronto.

The agreement comes after 10 years of court proceedings and negotiations between the Toronto Police Services Board and representatives for about 1,100 people who were arrested during the summit.

Under the settlement, those arrested will each be entitled to compensation between $5,000 and $24,700, depending on their experiences.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...alMedia&utm_campaign=National&utm_content=g20

Way more detailed, line by line budget now available at the link below.

Budget for every single unit posted, in excel spreadsheets.

Organization Charts show all senior positions.

Gold mine of info!

It would help if we have beat cops walking the streets. You could walk from my house near Sumach and Carlton to Ryerson, then to the Eaton Centre, then up Yonge and then back home along Wellesley to Sumach and you won’t see a single police constable on their feet. Beat cops interact with their community, are in an area for longer periods (vs. people with bad intent can just wait a second for the police car or bicycle to move along), and petty crimes like vandalism, litter, public drunkenness, public drug use and urination, illegal parking and sidewalk obstruction can be at least recorded. Honestly, I don‘t know why we issue TPS officers with boots or shoes. Just send them out in driving slippers, put a little TPS patch on the side so they look dandy.
Someone must have been inspired by my post, lol.

If you're just going to drive around all day with the occassional coffee and pee break at Timmies, well you don't need shoes. Might as well be comfy.

image_3087698a-2dfa-4069-ba32-15767bab483e_590x.jpg

Back