News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Those police budget motions were presented by Michael Thompson who prefaced them by talking about how long and impossible it has been to get any curbs on TPS increases.
Wasn't Thompson on the TPS Board when the record 11% pay increase was approved?

I don't understand these city politicians. They know that well over 80% of the TPS budget is salaries, and then they approve greater than inflation increases to those salaries, and then the next year they cry poor and demand that the TPS find savings, when the vast majority of the TPS expenses are the very salaries the politicians voted to increase.

Am I missing something here?

Looking at that 11% oay hike, http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...-vote-for-11-per-cent-pay-hike/article580989/

The deal offers city police wage hikes of 3.2 per cent this year, 3 per cent in the two subsequent years, and 2 per cent in 2014. Those numbers are higher than wage hikes offered many other public service sectors, but lag the 14-per-cent wage increase the province granted OPP officers over the same period.

The city was told it would be on the hook to match the OPP raise if negotiations with city police had gone to arbitration. "I'm totally handcuffed on the police," said Toronto budget committee chair Mike Del Grande.

Why does it matter what the province gives the OPP?

I would encourage people to fill out this online survey about policing from the province:

https://www.ontario.ca/form/police-police-services-and-community-safety-survey

Yes, there is a good chance that anything you write will be ignored, but it is probably a more productive use of your time than posting in this thread ;)

I wouldn't discount the value of posting in this thread. After all, by posting in an online forum, you can shape many people's perspectives on a variety of issues by writing well thought out posts.

Last edited:
I wouldn't discount the value of posting in this thread. After all, by posting in an online forum, you can shape many people's perspectives on a variety of issues by writing well thought out posts.

Not totally discounting the value of posting in this forum. Just pointing out a spot where you can communicate directly with those who have the power to make a change :)

I hope that's only the beginning. Construction sites should be next, along with Community events.

why is tazing not the first option though. Why are they not being trained taze first? Tazing after the person is shot seems the complete opposite idea of the weapon to begin with.

Its actually really surprising to me that Toronto does not have front line Tasers like most other Canadian city police forces. Calgary and Edmonton all patrol Constables have them

Not an important issue, but does anyone else miss the old navy blue and white cruisers? They looked so much classier than the current vehicles (which were implemented in the mid 90s, I believe).

Ummm are you thinking of a different city???? Toronto has never had cars with Navy Blue being one of the main colours. They where yellow in the 70s and 80s (and possibly 60s too) then in the 90s they went to white cars...and since then its just been variations of the logo and word decals etc

Back