Wednesday, June 17:

1. All that remains now is the south-east corner of the former Downtown Toyota building.

2. Ground sampling rig has arrived and been set up on site.

3. The big question - what happens next? Will this corner of the site just be left as is after completion of the demolition? Will the corner be prepared for interim use - additional parking area as part of overall parking lot? Or will the next stage of redevelopment begin soon with shoring and excavation to start shortly? The south building of the main Portland Commons complex - the 501 Front Street West component - still looks to be occupied, and will need to be vacated and demolished before the redevelopment activities get substantially underway. Under the present COVID-19 conditions, relocation for the existing tenants could in the short term be problematic.

View attachment 252191
I didn't know that older wing of the building to the South East is getting demolished and rebuilt, I thought it was just staying there as part of the new complex?
Anyways, hoping all activities continue to pick up taking advantage of the COVID situation

I didn't know that older wing of the building to the South East is getting demolished and rebuilt, I thought it was just staying there as part of the new complex?
Anyways, hoping all activities continue to pick up taking advantage of the COVID situation

Actually I am not sure. Some renderings look as though there is new structure where the existing 501 Front building is located, but other renderings appear to show the 501 building still there. Given the size of the parking lot, anything may be possible.

Jun 18, 2020

DSCN7112.JPG

DSCN7115.JPG

DSCN7117.JPG

DSCN7118.JPG

DSCN7119.JPG

I'm really disappointed that gem of an old building on the southwest corner was demolished. It had elements of those old 'Georgian' style terraced buildings found around St. Lawrence Hall/Market. Surely they could've found room for it in the new build.

July 15 Update:

1. Demolition, including digging out of the basement and foundation components of the former buildings has been completed, and all the Mitchell Demolition equipment is gone from the site. It looks like their portion of the work is now complete.

2. Ellis Don is now on site - Ellis Don is the General Contractor for the new office building. Site preparation work for the shoring stage - location of the utility lines along the Portland Street property line - is now underway with a hydrovac truck on Portland.

So hopefully concerns about the imminent demise of the downtown Toronto commercial property market may be short term at best.

20200715_104236.jpg

July 15 Update:

1. Demolition, including digging out of the basement and foundation components of the former buildings has been completed, and all the Mitchell Demolition equipment is gone from the site. It looks like their portion of the work is now complete.

2. Ellis Don is now on site - Ellis Don is the General Contractor for the new office building. Site preparation work for the shoring stage - location of the utility lines along the Portland Street property line - is now underway with a hydrovac truck on Portland.

So hopefully concerns about the imminent demise of the downtown Toronto commercial property market may be short term at best.

View attachment 257490
Downtown Toronto will be fine IMO
It's really the financial and commercial hub of all of Canada so there's always that
Also growing sectors popping up like Tech.
A large % of immigrants settle here because of the existing communities and family ties etc.

I was driving to the office today (downtown) and traffic is A MESS already! (Bay, Yonge etc.)
So things are coming back to being busy again even though we're just in Stage 2

Preparations for the start of construction of the Portland Commons building continue to be ongoing. Initial building permit applications, for the shoring and excavation have been filed with the City, and are now undergoing the normal back-and-forth process to resolve the City's concerns prior to being issued. From the City's Building Permit Status web site for 530 Front Street West:

Application: Building Additions/Alterations
TORONTO ON M5V 1B8
Ward 10: Spadina-Fort York

Application#: 20 170119 BLD 00 BA
Accepted Date: Jul 24, 2020
Project: Other
Work: Shoring
Description: Proposal for standalone shoring, excavation for environmental and soil remediation purposes only.

Examination Processes

BA Zoning Review
Aug 21, 2020
Notice Sent
Zone 3
Atkinson, Jamie

BA Code Review Pt3
Aug 28, 2020
Refusal Notice

Code 3
Aregawi, Marcus
BA Code Review Pt3