IMG_1758.jpeg
IMG_6656.jpeg

Two thoughts:

First, this photo in @Rascacielo 's post above had me looking less at the tower than at the state of Allan Gardens:

74444152-0aa7-4a26-8df1-020d7d6317f1-jpeg.470391

The lighting is fine, the trees and grass are ok; but for a park marketed as a garden and a tourist attraction of sorts........what an embarrassing pathway.

It would be awful even if had been repaved yesterday; that it's also in a mediocre state or repair compounds the problem. Notice also no seating.............and hey wait a minute..........Allan Gardens?
Where's the gardening? The shrubs, the flowers/flower beds, anything really?

Ugh.

Second thought is on the building, to be frank, this is turning out far better than I thought. When I first saw the renders, I was concerned about the yellow/gold in particular and whether it would, on the one hand seem to disappear (as with NOBU) or in the alternative might end up quite garish. But I think it's turning out looking pretty smart.

This is one of those builds that @interchange42 likes to remind us all about from time to time; that with right client and the right people working on it, IBI can produce decent stuff. The only thing is they really don't do it often enough, their quality to dreck ratio is off. The larger number should be in front.

Two thoughts:

First, this photo in @Rascacielo 's post above had me looking less at the tower than at the state of Allan Gardens:

74444152-0aa7-4a26-8df1-020d7d6317f1-jpeg.470391

The lighting is fine, the trees and grass are ok; but for a park marketed as a garden and a tourist attraction of sorts........what an embarrassing pathway.

It would be awful even if had been repaved yesterday; that it's also in a mediocre state or repair compounds the problem. Notice also no seating.............and hey wait a minute..........Allan Gardens?
Where's the gardening? The shrubs, the flowers/flower beds, anything really?

Ugh.

Second thought is on the building, to be frank, this is turning out far better than I thought. When I first saw the renders, I was concerned about the yellow/gold in particular and whether it would, on the one hand seem to disappear (as with NOBU) or in the alternative might end up quite garish. But I think it's turning out looking pretty smart.

This is one of those builds that @interchange42 likes to remind us all about from time to time; that with right client and the right people working on it, IBI can produce decent stuff. The only thing is they really don't do it often enough, their quality to dreck ratio is off. The larger number should be in front.
Totally with you on Allen Gardens. It has such a potential as a historic downtown park, think Washington Square, Bryant Park, etc, but has been neglected for so long. At least they’re renovating the conservatory (covered in white scaffolding in one of my pictures) and perhaps there are plans to restore other parts once that’s done?

As for Prime, the yellow panels really stand out. There’s also these unusual khaki-coloured spandrels (used sparingly) - I had never seen that shade of spandrels before. The glazing doesn’t look golden in the pictures, but under certain light conditions, it does have a golden tint. I’ll post a picture when I see it.

Among all buildings under construction that I can see from my balcony, this has progressed the most (by far) during the 11 weeks I was away. If my count is right, they’re working on the 38th floor now, so only 8 more floors plus mechanical penthouse. At the rate they’re going, they’ll probably top out at the end of summer.

Totally with you on Allen Gardens. It has such a potential as a historic downtown park, think Washington Square, Bryant Park, etc, but has been neglected for so long. At least they’re renovating the conservatory (covered in white scaffolding in one of my pictures) and perhaps there are plans to restore other parts once that’s done?

There are some plans and there is some money; but it's really very haphazard and poorly thought out.

Somebody just hand the park over to Cormier and give him 20M he'll do wonders.

Edit to add; this is what's on top for Allan Gardens according to their 'Friends' site:

1681924518530.png

Last edited:
With all the condos in the area and associated development charges - I don't understand why there isn't sufficient capital by this point to redo this and make it the tourist attraction it should be.

Also side note, why is most of the architecture in the east end so good compared to most anywhere else (at least downtown) ? Yes that was a relative comemnt.

Back