News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.3K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

While we are at it, I’m also in strong favor of evicting all the residents off the Island itself.

I'm in strong favour on NOT evicting all the residents off the Island. This is a very unique car free community that is one of the most interesting aspects of the island. When I take visitors through Wards they are really impressed. It was also one of the settings for Margaret Atwood's books...I think Cat's Eye?

There's a bizarre little village in North Wales called Portmeirion, which you might recognise as

a) the home of a famous china line of the same name,

or, more likely,

b) the setting of the sci-fi series 'The Prisoner'

portmeirion.jpg

Though it's been many years since I visited, I believe it's still open to the public, as well as inhabited by locals, who lurk behind "residents only" cordons. It's a ridiculous, artificial, pretty place that's a joy to visit and has no real relation to life elsewhere in Wales.

Anyway. A-propos.

I’m also in strong favor of evicting all the residents off the Island itself. It would have been another story if they paid fair market value for living on the Island, but from what I understand they do not.
I know it's complicated, but I don't think the above statement is quite true. I think the island residents pay into a corporation that then pays all their porperty taxes, etc. (sort of like an apartment building). So rumours out there of "islanders don't pay taxes, etc.," aren't true, nor is it true to say they don't pay "market value" when they don't actually own their residences anyway. I believe there's an open waiting list to anybody who wants to put their name down to (eventually) become an islander.

Queen Street between Yonge and University is a disgrace... the area around the Eaton Centre and Queen Street is consistently dirty and the Sheraton Centre's lack of interaction with the street is an abomination, the recent renovation prooved only to isolate the hotel further from the street. With the Opera House opening up and the fact that the Eaton Centre is the number one or two tourist destination in the city some sort of re-invigoration is desperately needed for those few blocks.

The hard fact is that Toronto is fairly dumpy compared to most of its international peers. That said I will repeat the comment i throw around once in a while that Toronto is by nature a middle-class shanty-town. Meaning that coordinated public space planning and aesthetic oppression are not in our blood but incremental organic change spearheaded by private interests is. Keep in mind that there are thousands of residence, building owners, store keepers, companies etc. spending literally hundreds of millions if not billions of dollars every year improving and upgrading the spaces of this city. It is completely false to suggest that nothing is being done or that no one cares.

Meaning that coordinated public space planning and aesthetic oppression are not in our blood but incremental organic change spearheaded by private interests is. Keep in mind that there are thousands of residence, building owners, store keepers, companies etc. spending literally hundreds of millions if not billions of dollars every year improving and upgrading the spaces of this city.

You may very well be right, but the effects so far have been fairly mediocre. I'm hoping the Bloor/Yorkville area will attempt to transform itself to set a new standard for the rest of the city, or at least downtown, to follow.

What I would like to see is the island airport closed, the eastern half or two thirds made into public-ish space (retail, parks, entertainment and such), with the western end turned into a car-free (or mostly car-free) residential and work-live area with 6 - 8 storey development. Use fill from subway and condo construction to build some fingers spreading out from the western edge of the airport site, maybe three or four in parallel forming canals between them with nice promenades along the water's edge. The canals could be used for skating in the winter. I think it would make quite a neat neighbourhood and ensure that whatever amenities are built on the island are used to some extent year-round. It's an idea that was proposed sometime in the 60s or 70s but never materialised...

Sounds like Dubia!

Kidding -- but in a 2002 Toronto Life, there was a series on Toronto's future -- and somebody proposed what you are, mix of car free stuff and canals throughout the airport area....

Queen Street between Yonge and University is a disgrace... the area around the Eaton Centre and Queen Street is consistently dirty and the Sheraton Centre's lack of interaction with the street is an abomination, the recent renovation proved only to isolate the hotel further from the street. With the Opera House opening up and the fact that the Eaton Centre is the number one or two tourist destination in the city some sort of re-invigoration is desperately needed for those few blocks.

Totally agree. I'd expand that east to Church Street, where you have this lovely use of space:

QueenEB23.jpg

The Maritime Life building helped quite a bit though. The south side of Queen between Victoria and Church could use a good cleaning up as well.

West of Yonge, the Sheridan Centre needs to be fixed up, Eaton Centre south facade renovated (it wouldn't take a lot to do this) and Nathan Phillips Square tackled somehow (which is in the plans), and it would be fine. (I love the Osgoode Hall fence/lawn and Old City Hall) I think east of Yonge needs at least as much work - get rid of the parking lot at Queen and Victoria, clean up the buildings on the south side.

Blowing smoke on the water

Eye - May 12, 2005

EDITORAL

Blowing smoke on the water

We'd like to register a noise complaint. We understand how sound carries across the water, so sometimes what seems a perfectly reasonable decibel level on one shore sounds like an overwhelming cacophony when it reaches the other. It's possible the noisemakers are decent people, but really: we've got to live here, so could they please shut up?

We're speaking, of course, of the residents of the Toronto islands, whose self-righteous, high-pitched whinging has been making it impossible for the rest of us to concentrate for more than a generation.

Most recently, the little cottage community raised an almighty shriek on May 4, when they discovered that the Wakestock Festival -- a four-day, daytime-only festival of wakeboarding, skateboarding, motor-cross racing, bands and bikinis expected to draw 40,000 visitors -- would be coming to Centre and Olympic Islands in August. Island residents and the city councillor who represents them, Pam McConnell, cried that the boisterous festival would be too much for their little community to handle. "I can tell you there is no way this is going back to the Toronto islands next year," McConnell was quoted as saying in the Toronto Star.

These complaints come from faces already red from screaming about the noise from the summertime sports and drinking theme park that is The Docks nightclub on the waterfront, at the foot of Cherry Street. There are some things we don't love about The Docks -- the drunken jocks who dominate the patio, for a start -- but when they opened 10 years ago in the nearly deserted industrial ghost town of the port lands, we never imagined noise complaints. After all, no one lives down there, right? Except, of course, the 600 privileged souls paying a buck a day to lease public parkland on the islands across the eastern gap. The thumping bass of The Docks, the islanders say, is tortuous, keeping them up all night. In response, the city has supported their contention that The Docks' liquor licence should not be renewed.

A little background may be helpful here: once, the Toronto islands were busy and well populated, housing "Canada's Coney Island," a baseball park and hundreds of homes. In 1956, ownership of the islands was transferred to Metropolitan Toronto for the purpose of being transformed into a public park. The businesses and homes on Hanlan's Point and Centre Island were demolished as leases expired. Then in 1973, after having already granted a one-time lease extension, Metro Council voted to evict the remaining residential tenants -- those on Ward's Island and Algonquin Island -- so that plans for a parkland oasis for all Torontonians could be completed. The residents, however, fought. And fought. Finally, in 1979, the Supreme Court of Canada ruled on the issue, upholding the eviction and ordering the residents out. Still, the residents refused to move.

In 1981, the province passed a law juggling jurisdiction so that the islanders could stay. But because of disputes over leasing terms, the residents paid no rent (or city taxes) for several years, forcing Toronto taxpayers to pick up the tab for them.

For some reason, this lawless recalcitrance was rewarded by the provincial government in 1993, when the residents were given 99-year leases on their property for about a dollar a day.

So the legal question was resolved: island residents have a contractual agreement to lease the land. Some may say they got too good a deal, but a deal they have, and no one recently has suggested we renege.

Still, the islanders don't have to be such sore winners. At every turn, they protest any use of the public parklands around them that upsets the bucolic feel of their community. They opposed the construction of a wave pool on Hanlan's Point in the '80s, they opposed the construction of a new residential co-op on the island (!) in the '90s, they oppose The Docks and they oppose Wakestock.

Even when we agree with their position -- as we did when they led the fight against the island airport expansion in 2003 -- we doubt their motives are the same as ours. We were worried about maintaining the possibility of a harbour, island and mainland that all Torontonians could enjoy. We suspect the residents of the Toronto islands were worried their neighbourhood would get noisy.

We don't begrudge them their homes, nor the fact that they rent land from us at a price significantly lower than market value. But it'd be nice if they keep in mind that they live on land owned by all of us and set aside for community use, surrounded by land set aside for community use, across the water from land we very much want to develop into a vibrant part of Toronto. Sometimes the community will want to build a nightclub. Sometimes the community will want to give noisy kids a place to play. And if the island residents can't handle the decibel level, they can always move to the suburbs. Things would sure get a lot quieter on the waterfront if they did.

Seriously, I've had enough and if I was Government of Ontario today, I would have evicted their asses off the Island long ago.

Louroz

Re: Blowing smoke on the water

Oh relax! Muffle them, but evicting is a bit much. Plus, they're not a homegenous bunch - different groups on the Island hate other groups. Could be a few whiners who make all the noise about...noise.

So, they lease cheaply...but they still pay tax, right?

I bet fewer visitors would go over to the islands if there was no community there. it's a tourist attraction in itself. It would be just another park, but now it's some weird midgit cottage country with a city skyline in the background.

FM, you're always big on tourist attractions, this isn't so different.

In response to that article:

How many residences in urban and suburban locales would put up with having an institution like the Docks in their general vicinity?

AoD

Respectfully Louroz, the Wards and Algonquin island communities are the best thing about the Island (closely followed by Hanlan's Beach) and two of Toronto's greatest neighbourhoods. I have yet to explore it all, but I doubt there is as much urban quality in bits and pieces in all of Mississauga put together as there is in these two neighbourhoods. If the Government of Ontario and tried to evict them, I'd be in the first row in front of the bulldozers.
I'm sorry if I'm being confrontational, but Jane Jacobs just died.

I also think the quirky residential component of the island is one of its great charms. Keep it.

"Kidding -- but in a 2002 Toronto Life, there was a series on Toronto's future -- and somebody proposed what you are, mix of car free stuff and canals throughout the airport area...."

Well, like I said, this idea's been around for over thirty years. And of course, Dubai is in a league of its own in terms of whimsically insane waterfront schemes.

Back