18016214588_d98f0b24d6_b.jpg

18200466032_eafc1f6519_b.jpg

18177619896_26b9490ff0_b.jpg

18017900669_b012304cf3_b.jpg

18016258078_26251dec49_b.jpg

17583556153_6c7c9fbe94_b.jpg

17583614913_3099b53581_b.jpg

17581619694_4e8fe76dc6_b.jpg

So: you can describe yourself as 'left of centre and progressive' all you want -- and you may very well be on issues such as income inequality or what have you -- but on transit you are a uninformed, unreconstructed car-first conservative.

That doesn't sound like me. And as much as I support grade-separate light RT like that offered by the SRT rebuild - that doesn't mean I'll flat-out ignore the numerous benefits of the Scarboro Subway. Or deny that the project is very much "progressive".

And I don't know why I have to be called "car-first conservative" because of my stance on the Hybrid Gardiner proposal. It's not a political project.

That doesn't sound like me. And as much as I support grade-separate light RT like that offered by the SRT rebuild - that doesn't mean I'll flat-out ignore the numerous benefits of the Scarboro Subway. Or deny that the project is very much "progressive".

And I don't know why I have to be called "car-first conservative" because of my stance on the Hybrid Gardiner proposal. It's not a political project.

Why do you support a more expensive hybrid, and a more expensive subway? What is more 'progressive' about the subway, compared to every other plan to offer better transit in Scarborough? The only connection between those two projects (in comparison to their alternatives, the 'remove' and the LRT) is that they're more car-friendly.

And of course the Gardiner re-do is a political project! If it was not for politics, the planners would have chosen their preferred solution and got on with it. But, instead, we'll have a council vote. I don't have a problem with that. Do you?

@RRR

Just because I'll admit there are major benefits to a Line 2 extension doesn't mean I support it more than the alternative. Nor does it mean I think it's "more progressive" than the alternative (I don't recall saying that). And I've already explained in the Gardiner thread why I think the Hybrid is more optimal.

So I've just been posting photos... I try not to editorialize, because I actually think most things this city does are pretty bad... BUT, The waterfront queens quay reno is pretty amazing! Its exactly what should be done! (I always joke that I refuse to walk on anything other than stone) so these beautiful pavers and trees and benches are perfect! some photos from yesterday (sorry about the quality of all my photos, I was out for a run and I think my camera phone got a bit wet, heh)

View attachment 47266
View attachment 47267
View attachment 47268
View attachment 47269
View attachment 47270
View attachment 47271
View attachment 47272
View attachment 47273
View attachment 47274
View attachment 47275

Just a heads up to people that while signals may be active as soon as June 1st, TSP is still undergoing bench testing. I'd estimate an additional couple weeks before it's up and running.

Not according to the notice:

"NB: We have completed extensive bench-testing for the controllers. Signals are nearly all installed and controller installation is underway. We do not anticipate any delays to the above schedule. Should any complications occur, we will issue a second notice."

Not according to the notice:

"NB: We have completed extensive bench-testing for the controllers. Signals are nearly all installed and controller installation is underway. We do not anticipate any delays to the above schedule. Should any complications occur, we will issue a second notice."

I do not doubt that the new signal controllers will be installed and activated on schedule. I am merely indicating that I have reason to believe that the TSP feature may not ready to be activated at that same time.

So I've just been posting photos... I try not to editorialize, because I actually think most things this city does are pretty bad... BUT, The waterfront queens quay reno is pretty amazing! Its exactly what should be done! (I always joke that I refuse to walk on anything other than stone) so these beautiful pavers and trees and benches are perfect!

I hate to be pointing this out, but this was not a City project at all. It was a Waterfront Toronto project.

I also come to a similar conclusion with regard to cycling infrastructure. The Queens Quay path is truly top-notch, unlike most of the cycling infrastructure the City builds itself.

Last edited:
As an avid watcher of the Waterfront Toronto webcameras, you can see the asphalt beautifulness.

That actually looks great. Well done Waterfront Toronto.

Now let's hope the pedestrians and joggers stay off the cycling path. There's plenty of room for them on paving stones. Stay off the MGT!

ps. Hey mods I didn't re-quote the picture. I learned my lesson after two banning. ;)

I took a walk today. All the work is focused intensely on and around the Peter slip bridge. That stretch has yet to receive even the first layer of paving on the Martin Goodnan Trail and stone work is still largely incomplete. The good news is that the rest of the entire waterfront seems complete or near complete. Fences are still up but no work looks to be left other than a big cleanup.

Guardrails went up on the bridge over the past few days. The chrome really improves the look of that bridge. The wooden light posts are up along the full stretch. Older light posts look ready to be taken down with their functions now taken over by the new ones.

So much work is left to be done on the incomplete stretch that it's hard to imagine it being done in just a couple of weeks but given that this is a small part of such a large project, I guess if they work every day on that remaining portion, they can get it done.

So much work is left to be done on the incomplete stretch that it's hard to imagine it being done in just a couple of weeks but given that this is a small part of such a large project, I guess if they work every day on that remaining portion, they can get it done.

The CLC report from late April gives some dates for the completion of specific 'blocks'; from a quick check yesterday they appear to be pretty much on schedule. See: http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/uploads/documents/april_2015___clc____web_version_1.pdf

According to that schedule, they are behind on some elements. For example, the Peter Slip bridge was supposed to have its handrails installed in the first and second week of May. They just went in a few days ago and they're not finished as of today (2-4 weeks behind schedule).

Like I said, there seems to be a lot of work remaining but it's concentrated on and around the Peter Slip bridge. All the other areas where work appears to be complete frees up resources to focus on that remaining stretch. It looks like it can be done but only if they work around the clock. I get the impression that they'll still be putting down paving and painting lines on the MGT the night before the grand opening.

The mgt is now paved to 400 queens quay. I assume it'll act as pedestrian diversion on the bridge so they can start the interlock.

The mgt is now paved to 400 queens quay. I assume it'll act as pedestrian diversion on the bridge so they can start the interlock.
Probably, last Friday the granite on the north sidewalk was 99% done and people were walking on it - ignoring signage (no fences) directing us elsewhere.

Back