The construction workers don't even stop people. At some point hoarding will need to be installed for the painting of mlq.. It's only the North side and south side left of 390.

Some of the metal light poles between Bay st. and York st. have been replaced with wooden poles. Including the one that was tilted by delivery truck at the service entrance of RBC Waterpark. Also the temporary traffic light has been removed.

Nice to see the sidewalks already being used for parking (Note the tourist bus). This is the same company causing issues on Yonge Street at Dundas Square:

1grq6w.png

IMG_6728.jpg

IMG_6726.jpg

IMG_6729.jpg

IMG_6731.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6728.jpg
    IMG_6728.jpg
    468 KB · Views: 575
  • IMG_6726.jpg
    IMG_6726.jpg
    513.3 KB · Views: 553
  • IMG_6729.jpg
    IMG_6729.jpg
    492.2 KB · Views: 571
  • IMG_6731.jpg
    IMG_6731.jpg
    270.7 KB · Views: 552
Nice to see the sidewalks already being used for parking (Note the tourist bus). This is the same company causing issues on Yonge Street at Dundas Square:
When I went by there the other day, I saw a sign at one of the pull-offs saying it is a hop-on/hop-off spot for those buses.

A number of lay-bys were added on the north side of the street specifically for these buses and taxies, and they still decide to park like an ass.

Last edited:

There is a tour bus lay-by at Rees Street parkette so I think it is legal - if rather poorly parked.

I used to work for City Sightseeing Toronto. They aren't doing anything wrong here. The company pays the city for their drop-off/pick-up spots, including both Queens Quay and Dundas Square.

If you looked a bit closer, you'd actually realize there is a built in drop-off/pick-up space along the sidewalk. Right next to the spot, there is a sign that says something along the lines of "Reserved for City Tour Buses". They aren't just blatantly parking on a sidewalk illegally, they're definitely parking legally.

I used to work for City Sightseeing Toronto. They aren't doing anything wrong here. The company pays the city for their drop-off/pick-up spots, including both Queens Quay and Dundas Square.

If you looked a bit closer, you'd actually realize there is a built in drop-off/pick-up space along the sidewalk. Right next to the spot, there is a sign that says something along the lines of "Reserved for City Tour Buses". They aren't just blatantly parking on a sidewalk illegally, they're definitely parking legally.

Theres a layby that you can CLEARLY make out in the picture I posted. The bus is clearly on the sidewalk, despite having a dedicated space on the roadway.

The mgt is now paved to 400 queens quay. I assume it'll act as pedestrian diversion on the bridge so they can start the interlock.

That's exactly correct. The bike path is now paved and the fences have been moved to clear the sidewalk to be started.

dtCznQf.jpg

I'm actually very impressed with the new width of the sidewalk on the bridge. The previous sidewalk was very narrow and almost claustrophobic as there was water on one side and cars speeding by on the other.

Does anybody know what's up with the Radisson? Their entire property has forgone any Queens Quay improvements. Why would they leave their property like this? It can't be for money. Condo corporations with far less money had their sidewalks redone. I wonder if they're planning a demolition and complete rebuild of the hotel.

bkMsxBo.jpg

In the same vicinity, the sidewalk and patch of grass on Robertson Crescent across from the Radisson looks like this:

G9H3qly.jpg

Something occurred to me today: not a single building on the redeveloped Queens Quay is worth keeping — Ok, aside from the Amsterdam Brew House. Everything else is a collection of ugly old buildings, parking garages or condos with little consideration for their street fronts. We have a world class waterfront street lined with shitty buildings. All of them. This is tragic.

I hope that we hear some news on that front soon. Will the opening of the new Queens Quay usher in a re-development rush?

EDIT: The discussion continued on Twitter and Alvin found a PDF that shows that all private properties reached an agreement to finish the sidewalks to their walls. Here's the segment in question:

jk560uJ.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, yeah, thanks for that informative post. Interesting--and very unfortunate. Perhaps a rebuild is in order anyways? Who knows, but I too am frustrated by the fact that--and I've felt this for as long as I can remember--the vast majority of what we have on our waterfront could be demo'd tomorrow and I wouldn't miss any of it. It's unfortunate.

The main hope for me is that the revitalization will bring in so much economic activity that the market will improve the amenities and physical structures in the area. It's going to take ten or more years, though, is my guess.

Radison isn't the only building that hasn't finished up to the wall. 230 QQW also hasn't. The brickwork they have there doesn't look to bad with the pink granite, but it is lesser quality concrete brick.

In other news, Tuscani01's shots of the area in front of the new RBC building show how far repaving a road and having proper sidewalks goes when improving the public realm. Huge difference. Looks great.

The radison on only occupies one half of the building... The backside are million dollar condos. Also, they have banned right hand turns across the tracks at simcoe and york... I'm wondering if this will apply at all intersections, as only one intersection (the building with sobeys in it) has a signalized right hand turn.

Back