Some of the shelters have been installed. They apparently arrive with advertisements in place.
The overhead wiring brackets have reached about this far as well.

IMAG0176.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG0176.jpg
    IMAG0176.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 725
Some of the shelters have been installed. They apparently arrive with advertisements in place.
The overhead wiring brackets have reached about this far as well.

It's hard to call that a shelter. The only thing it protects from is southern winds. A more appropriate term would be advertising panels.

It's hard to call that a shelter. The only thing it protects from is southern winds.
Doesn't look any worse than the old one. Possibly even a slight improvement:
qq.png

Looking at the new shelter. It looks like 2 shelters put together. Is there a panel of glass between the 2 shelters? It's hard to see in the photo.

Attachments

• qq.png
    qq.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 668
Last edited:
They're both ugly crap.
The old one is quite ugly. The new one looks fine. I'm more concerned about the functionality. Though I can see why you can't add wing-walls, without making the platform significantly wider. The length of the overhang is critical, but it's hard to compare in the two photos.

Downtown used to start at Front Street. By the time all the development in this area is finished, you could make the case that downtown starts at Queen's Quay. I never thought that would happen.

let's not get ahead of ourselves.
Area south of Front still has somewhat awkward and limited transit via Union station, and very little retail except some tourist traps. A lot needs to be done to be considered similar to the King/Queen area.
Think about this: during the Sept-May seasons, what between Front and QQ attracts people on the weekends? Almost nothing.

let's not get ahead of ourselves.
Area south of Front still has somewhat awkward and limited transit via Union station, and very little retail except some tourist traps. A lot needs to be done to be considered similar to the King/Queen area.
Think about this: during the Sept-May seasons, what between Front and QQ attracts people on the weekends? Almost nothing.

This makes no sense at all. The comparison to king and Queen is pointless--I'm talking about where downtown begins. And the area is getting retail, not that this is the most important benchmark. And maybe you've forgotten about the South entrance to Union.

This makes no sense at all. The comparison to king and Queen is pointless--I'm talking about where downtown begins. And the area is getting retail, not that this is the most important benchmark. And maybe you've forgotten about the South entrance to Union.

"Downtown" doesn't mean an area with a lot of buildings. It means a highly vibrant area where people who don't live there actually go to often. Yes, no need to compare with Queen and King, but it is not remotely comparable to College, Dundas either.
This is simply little retail except some pure office/residential buildings between Front and QQ right now. Call it downtown all you want, but it is not the downtown people actually need to visit routinely for shopping, dining and entertainment.

I really had no idea where to put this. There are so many threads for the Waterfront, so I put it in this one. Move the post to another thread if there is a better one for it.
------

Queens Quay future looks brighter than ever

Christopher Hume

No one could accuse Chris Glaisek of lacking ambition. If he gets his way, it's only a matter of time before Queens Quay becomes the most beautiful street in Toronto, and more than that, one of the most beautiful streets in the world.

When complete, sometime in 2010, Queens Quay will be a two-lane road (down from four) with a grass-covered right-of-way for streetcars. New granite paving will be installed on an expansive tree-lined boulevard that extends along the south side of the street. An 18-metre-wide water's edge promenade, made of wood and granite, will hug the shoreline. Extra space on the far side should allow for outdoor cafés and the like.

Source

Looking back at a news report in 2008, the project was planned to be finished in2010. Is it 5 years late, or Hume was being overly optimistic back then?

"Downtown" doesn't mean an area with a lot of buildings. It means a highly vibrant area where people who don't live there actually go to often. Yes, no need to compare with Queen and King, but it is not remotely comparable to College, Dundas either.
This is simply little retail except some pure office/residential buildings between Front and QQ right now. Call it downtown all you want, but it is not the downtown people actually need to visit routinely for shopping, dining and entertainment.

This is just plain wrong. It sounds like you've never been here before. Do you realize how many people will live, work, and play in this area?

ksun has some interesting ideas about what constitutes urban and rural :)
Yes, I think we established previously that QQ was rural. He probably thought those were grain silos south of Queens Quay ... and assumed the empty land were farm fields. I'd add something about a herd of cows if I thought I could milk that for anything ...

Back