Making Transit a Priority: Optimizing Signalization on Queens Quay

http://blog.waterfrontoronto.ca/nbe...xlUa1IryApy9EXU!/dl5/d5/L2dBISEvZ0FBIS9nQSEh/

The 509 Harbourfront and 510 Spadina streetcars have returned to Queens Quay, marking a major milestone in the revitalization of Toronto's waterfront boulevard.
By Samantha Gileno

Streetcars are operating on Queens Quay again. And while it’s a major milestone for the project – and for people who ride the streetcar – it’s important to note that construction continues and the street will not operate in its final configuration until the road is commissioned next year. A huge amount of thought and effort has gone into designing a state-of-the-art signal system that will give transit priority and at the same time allow cars to move better than they did before on Queens Quay. But until that system is up and running, the signalization in place today – including the number of signalized intersections – is temporary.

To keep transit moving during construction, there is currently a dedicated transit phase which allows streetcars to proceed while all other vehicular and pedestrian movements are stopped. Over the next few days, we will be assessing these signals to make sure they are working as effectively as possible during construction. We appreciate your patience as we make the interim signal timing more efficient.

Once the road is commissioned next spring, the full transit priority signalization plan will be implemented. This will include the installation of all new traffic and transit signalization controllers along Queens Quay. These new controllers will allow for much more sophisticated transit priority operations along Queens Quay. Once the new system is up and running:

Streetcars will stop less frequently because their signals will be coordinated with those used by east-west vehicular traffic. That means both streetcars and vehicles will travel together giving streetcars the maximum amount of time to clear the intersection.
The system will include up to a 15 second extension of the east-west green if a streetcar is within a close distance of the intersection. If a streetcar is waiting, and there are no other vehicles in the area, the system can also shorten the length of a red light at a north-south crossing. This will help reduce the number of times a streetcar is stopped at a red light.
The corridor will be optimized to ensure that traffic signals are coordinated reducing the number of stops and starts which lead to slower overall travel times.
Temporary intersections will be removed resulting in fewer stops for streetcars and vehicular traffic.
Completely rebuilding – and reconfiguring – a street in a dense urban area is complicated. It’s a bit like preparing a formal dinner with several different courses. As we complete major sections of work, such as sidewalks, stretches of roadway or the streetcar corridor, we re-open those areas for public use. But to continue with the dinner analogy, we’re still working on the final courses and the meal can only fully be enjoyed after we’ve finished dessert.

Queens Quay is on schedule to be complete before the Pan Am Games. Thanks for your patience as we continue to build Toronto’s new waterfront boulevard.

So if I understood that correctly, there will be signal priority after all.
It was always planned to have transit priority on Queen's Quay. The situation now is that it has yet to be turned on (or is not yet installed in the controllers) and then there is the problem that City Transportation who actually operate the traffic lights seem very poor at keeping it running - look at Spadina!

As someone noted in a comment on the front page article, wasn’t the right-of-way supposed to be covered in grass?

I believe the grass lost out to emergency vehicles using it as an alternate route. I would hope/think they can monitor emergency vehicles using this access ( for say 5 years?) and maybe change it then depending on results?

As someone noted in a comment on the front page article, wasn’t the right-of-way supposed to be covered in grass?
That was the plan until the fire department shot it down. Love the concrete ugly look.

The question, HOW Many Time has The Fire Department USED the ROW on Spadina, let along St Clair???

Today I went to Queens Quay station for the first time. A lot has happened in the two years it has been closed, and this station has been under construction ever since the first time I've been to downtown Toronto alone. I don't think many people know about this little unique transit gem we have at the waterfront. I wish there were more underground streetcar-only stations in TO.

Anyways, here are photo updates of what seems to be the final stretch of this massively long construction project, the Martin Goodman Trail.

tw9u7wQ.jpg

b2eA8Rl.jpg

Kg1zjhJ.jpg

jSZUEXn.jpg

DXah8RU.jpg

drMJliO.jpg

TrDfr1A.jpg

BUbfiWa.jpg

8o9xWeJ.jpg

OIF7ec5.jpg

sqCcSrR.jpg

the difference being those are wide roads. With QQW being only two lanes wide - the fire station is going to be making a lot of use of the row. Infact, they are already using it to travel east bound to rees.

Also - all the traffic signals have left hand turn lights. Why are these installed if there not going to be enforced right now? If they were enforced then the streetcars could run with green's when QQ has it, significantly reducing delays.

Today I went to Queens Quay station for the first time. A lot has happened in the two years it has been closed, and this station has been under construction ever since the first time I've been to downtown Toronto alone. I don't think many people know about this little unique transit gem we have at the waterfront. I wish there were more underground streetcar-only stations in TO.

Thanks for the photos.

Imagine the Queen streetcar subway tunnel went ahead? I'd imagine there would be lots of underground streetcar stations, very simple stations like Queens Quay, with no staff or fare gates.

Imagine if the Queen streetcar subway tunnel went ahead, there would be lots of underground streetcar stations, very simple stations like Queens Quay, with no staff or fare gates.

The transit union wouldn't like that.

Thanks for the photos.

Imagine the Queen streetcar subway tunnel went ahead? I'd imagine there would be lots of underground streetcar stations, very simple stations like Queens Quay, with no staff or fare gates.

That is the direction that the Eglinton Crosstown LRT is going. Fare inspectors and station masters will be used instead.

That was the plan until the fire department shot it down. Love the concrete ugly look.

The question, HOW Many Time has The Fire Department USED the ROW on Spadina, let along St Clair???

For LRT/streetcar ROW's (and bus ROW's for that matter) why don't they paint them like most other cities? would make it very clear for 10 months of the year for tourists not to drive on them (along with making them look better).

As I understand you can paint them and if there is not much traffic the paint will not wear off (and you can add pigment to the concrete so that it will never wear off).

To be unique to Toronto/TTC they could be painted the historic dark maroon.

How many times have you seen a car go on the ROW at Bathurst and Lakeshore? And I can't even blame them with such a confusing intersection.

That is the direction that the Eglinton Crosstown LRT is going. Fare inspectors and station masters will be used instead.

My impression is that Eglinton will have subway-like stations with fare-gates and staff. They look pretty big too, with a concourse and multiple entrances. Not as big as Spadina extension or Sheppard however.

Streetcars will stop less frequently because their signals will be coordinated with those used by east-west vehicular traffic. That means both streetcars and vehicles will travel together giving streetcars the maximum amount of time to clear the intersection.
The system will include up to a 15 second extension of the east-west green if a streetcar is within a close distance of the intersection. If a streetcar is waiting, and there are no other vehicles in the area, the system can also shorten the length of a red light at a north-south crossing. This will help reduce the number of times a streetcar is stopped at a red light.
The corridor will be optimized to ensure that traffic signals are coordinated reducing the number of stops and starts which lead to slower overall travel times.

I am somewhat disappointed with this transit priority for Queen's Quay. It sounds exactly like the system we use everywhere else in the city, which has serious limitations. Combining the greens for transit and east-west traffic will no doubt improve operations, but the priority system itself is not that spectacular.

The 15 second extension is surprising, because normally we use 30 seconds at minor intersections and 16 seconds at major ones. Maybe it's related to the small block length, which limits the advance detection distance.

There is little to no opportunity to shorten the green for cross streets, because they are almost all minor streets. Minor streets tend to already use the absolute minimum green time required for safe pedestrian crossing. Once the walk light turns on, the signal is locked in until the end of the flashing don't walk. Whether or not there are vehicles in the area is completely irrelevant. Besides, giving the main street a green light when no one else is around is not transit priority, it is ordinary traffic signal operation.

And when they talk about co-ordination, they fail to actually specify that the lights would be co-ordinated for transit. After all, if there were an effective transit priority system, why would we bother? I think what they are saying is "we'll co-ordinate for cars, but that might help transit too".

The city always co-ordinates signals for cars. Even when there are more people cycling than driving (Harbord), or taking surface transit (Yonge north of Finch, Dufferin, etc.). I've been told that they would need approval from the very top in order to implement my suggestion of co-ordination for bicycles on Harbord.

Background info:
The old Queens Quay used a unique signal system called Aries because the city's main signal system at the time, MTSS, was not flexible enough to allow a setup with dedicated transit phases callable at any point in the cycle. The main system the city now uses can do that anyway, so there would be no point in maintaining the standalone and now-obsolete Aries system.

The city always co-ordinates signals for cars.

They do? So then why is it impossible to get two green lights in a row anywhere downtown? Some roads seem intentionally timed to go Red, Red, Red, even if you're the first off the light at the last red. The only road that's noticeably calibrated for cars is Richmond.

Back