I completely agree. I hope the inevitable development along Niagara St west of Bathurst continues this trend.

And I really hope, for the sake of residents and hotelgoers, that the developer demands that the city fix the sewage stench here. It truly plagues Front St West. The city ought to at least allocate some of the cash they're no doubt collecting from all of these projects for the beautification and upkeep of Victoria park towards that.

And I really hope, for the sake of residents and hotelgoers, that the developer demands that the city fix the sewage stench here. It truly plagues Front St West.

Funny you mention that, I hadn't wandered along that stretch of Front St. in a while and had forgotten about the stench. It was such a great day for a walk, I was wandering along Front from Union Station amongst the crowds making their way to the Jays game and a couple of other downtown events and then boom!! ... blechhhh!!

No idea why it's particularly bad in that area, but with all of the foot traffic (especially tourists) in the vicinity it does seem like something that needs to be addressed.

It is particularly bad there because of the sewage exhaust vents in the area. They must be located somewhere in the neighbourhood due to the build up of methane in the pipes that require relieving.

Since this topic came up, I have new developments about the sewage stench!

I've been walking west on Front for almost 3 years now, and I mostly noticed the stench right at the Front and Spadina intersection. But since this water/spring, there's ~20 foot long area in front of the convention centre (closer to John St) where the stench is terrible. This was never there before so I was wondering what caused it. My theory is that the new Cityplace buildings (N2 and Montage I think?) have changed the air/wind patterns. I'm sure other people would know better about these things but that's the only reason I can think of.

Front Street project

I couldn't find a thread for this project, which is located on the west side of that beige stucco mid-rise condo at Front and Portland. It backs onto Niagara street to the north.

Jun21-08111.jpg

Jun21-08112.jpg

January 2009? That would appear to be a tad optimistic on the part of the developer/hotel company.

The stucco midrise you refer to is so bad (style-wise), I can't help but think it's going to limit the stylishness of this hotel no matter how hard they try.

Yes, they are an impressive organization with high-quality design written all over their brand.

Sukhdev Toor says: "We at Manga Hotels, are doing our very best to bring you the superior quality of suburban hotels you have come to expect from our brand, but now in great locations in the city. You would only expect the best when you live and stay in the suburbs, so why expect anything else when you are in the city?"

p5
(don't read too much into the quality of this, not like I am screenwriter or anything.)

It is particularly bad there because of the sewage exhaust vents in the area. They must be located somewhere in the neighbourhood due to the build up of methane in the pipes that require relieving.

I don't think that you're smelling sewage. I'm pretty sure that that is the slaughterhouse smell wafting across from behind 60 Loft. It can be pretty horrid at times, especially when you imagine what is creating that smell.

I don't think that you're smelling sewage. I'm pretty sure that that is the slaughterhouse smell wafting across from behind 60 Loft. It can be pretty horrid at times, especially when you imagine what is creating that smell.

There are two distinct stenches in the area. One is definitely methane from sewage and the other is swine from the slaughterhouse.

Back