News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Nerves Frayed In Toronto Over Roaming Raccoons

Toronto has a huge population of raccoons — so many, the city is known as the raccoon capital of the world.

Last week, the war between humans and raccoons got out of hand. Toronto resident Dong Nguyen was arrested and charged with cruelty to animals and possession of a dangerous weapon for allegedly hitting a baby raccoon in his backyard with a shovel. That has sparked a heated debate about how to control the animals and which urban dwellers' rights come first.

A few days after Nyugen was led away by police in handcuffs, his neighbors held an anti-raccoon rally. Jack Fava, who lives down the street from Nyugen, says he was outraged by the way Nyugen was treated. He doesn't condone violence against animals, he says, but he and his neighbors are fed up.

"I've been dealing with it since '98. You know, they've done damage in my under crawl where the kitchen is, [the] insulation and vapor barrier," he says. "I don't grow any more vegetables. I don't get to eat them because other animals — raccoons — get to them before I do."

Fava has spent hundreds of dollars to repair the damage and keep the animals away. He says the city should work harder to control the raccoon population.

"I don't see why we can't cull the population down a little bit. I don't think there's anything wrong with that," he says. "We have a cat program here, they spay and neuter. I don't see why they can't spay and neuter raccoons."

Toronto's policy is to leave raccoons alone. The city encourages homeowners to keep them away by doing things like keeping their trash locked up.

"The idea that we can get rid of them is hilarious to me, because there's no way," says behavioral psychologist Suzanne MacDonald.

Raccoons thrive in cities, partly because there's plenty of food. There are 20 times more urban raccoons in North America than there were 70 years ago. MacDonald says city raccoons are smart, and they're getting smarter.

"One of the things we're doing is providing them with bigger and bigger challenges, so you've probably seen raccoon-proof garbage cans and all these things to try to keep them from figuring things out," she says. "But in fact, they always do, so humans are selecting these traits in raccoons and we're actually shaping an uber-raccoon that is going to be able to compete in an urban environment."

The bottom line, MacDonald says, is that raccoons are just part of modern urban life.

http://www.npr.org/2011/06/11/137108380/nerves-frayed-in-toronto-over-roaming-raccoons

But then again........

Raccoons just part of taxing problem

Funny when you consider that the people in Toronto swept Rob Ford into the mayor's office based on his promise to reduce taxes and eliminate unnecessary spending and bloat at city hall. But you can't have less government and still demand the city to do everything for you - and do it for nothing at that.

It seems everyone is in favour of the tax cuts and belt-tightening Ford promised - until they realize you have to give something up in return for those lower taxes. Kiss the dream of city-sponsored raccoon relocation goodbye.

http://www.lfpress.com/comment/2011/06/10/18266916.html

Last edited:
I like animals but the raccoon situation in Toronto is long overdue for a solution. This means culling their numbers. This reminds me of the pigeon problem at work but first..

I think this guy went a wee bit overboard but his frustration makes sense. Raccoons are a nuisance and they cause a lot of problems including damage to property. The bleeding hearts don't make the situation any better either since you can never "harm" a animal when dealing with the problem. I've had "encounters" with raccoons and some of them are absolutely defiant and show no fear of humans.

The hospital I work at has a pigeon problem. Too many live on the property and their poop has ruined the building along with entrances and sidewalks covered with it.

Last edited:
I watched this the other night- very interesting. Unlike most animals they are not only able to adapt to human presence but in fact thrive on it. Their is even evidence that urban raccoons are smarter and more crafty than their country cousins. In other words human presence is boosting their intelligence. Apparently encounters with humans are rare considering the great numbers that live in our presence and it's not so much their temperament that is dangerous but rather it is their excrement that you need to look out for. Supposedly even ingesting dust particles with raccoon poo when sweeping the driveway etc. can make you seriously ill.

I watched a doc regarding raccoons. They talked about Toronto, urban raccoons being smarter than their country counterparts and the situation with raccoons over in the Japan (originally imported as pets) causing huge problems as well. Very interesting stuff. At some point the only real solution is just culling their numbers.

While picking up food today, some woman was talking about hockey and players being machines and people generally not being very nice. The topic then turned to animals....

She decided to make the comparison to animals and proclaimed that animals were nicer than people. At this point I had to remind her that animals aren't nice in nature and only domesticated animals conditioned, dependent and bred by humans are "nice" to us. I said people are projecting their feelings onto animals.

Last edited:
Pigeons and raccoons should both be culled, both present a danger to human health. I read two or three years ago that some group was collecting and destroying pigeon eggs in areas where they nest to try and control the population, I think the project was funded by the City.
I don't know if it's mating season or what but I've heard raccoons either fighting or mating twice lately at night in the past few weeks. It's a very strange, unnerving screaming sound to hear in the middle of the night!

A friend of mine has just recently had to re-do a part of his roof because racoons decided to make it their seasonal home. They actually dug a hole in the roof and were able to get in. The bill to fix all this: ~$2000

I watched a doc regarding raccoons. They talked about Toronto, urban raccoons being smarter than their country counterparts and the situation with raccoons over in the Japan (originally imported as pets) causing huge problems as well. Very interesting stuff. At some point the only real solution is just culling their numbers.

While picking up food today, some woman was talking about hockey and players being machines and people generally not being very nice. The topic then turned to animals....

She decided to make the comparison to animals and proclaimed that animals were nicer than people. At this point I had to remind her that animals aren't nice in nature and only domesticated animals conditioned, dependent and bred by humans are "nice" to us. I said people are projecting their feelings onto animals.

Definitely, animals do what they have to in order to survive and protect their young, if that means injuring or killing something else they will do it. 'Nice' or 'not nice' are not concepts that exist, imho, outside of human thought... but there's a whole philosophy devoted to that.

And apparently racoons are protected in this city. If you capture one and want to rid of it, the most you can do is take it 1 km away and release. Yes, just 1 km?

How hard will it be for them to come back from that very long trip (sarcasm)?

Definitely, animals do what they have to in order to survive and protect their young, if that means injuring or killing something else they will do it. 'Nice' or 'not nice' are not concepts that exist, imho, outside of human thought... but there's a whole philosophy devoted to that.

True. As this saying goes "respect nature because it has absolutely no respect for you". But yeah, human constructs such as nice and friendly are just that. Constructs.

Learning to live with raccoons http://www.torontosun.com/2011/06/19/learning-to-live-with-raccoons

Raccoons are here to stay.

There are more than 100,000 of the nocturnal critters in Toronto, so learn to live with them, say experts.

The animals became the subject of recent controversy after 53-year-old Don Nguyen was charged with animal cruelty for allegedly bashing baby raccoons with a shovel in the backyard of his Ranking Cres. home in the Bloor St. W.-Lansdowne Ave.-area.

The masked mammals can damage homes, get into garbage, and leave droppings everywhere.

Conservation biology professor Mart Gross, of the University of Toronto, said anyone who resorts to attacking raccoons with gardening tools is not bad — just ignorant.

“People should not think they have exclusive monopoly of the land,†said Gross. “So, if people want to plant vegetables and flowers in their yard, raccoons may injure them. They should start seeing raccoons are part of their landscape and learn to coexist with wildlife.â€

Gross added the cure to the problem lies in prevention.

“People can’t go beating up on these animals just because they’re trying to find food and shelter. If homeowners don’t want them living in their homes or damaging property, homeowners need to make their homes less inviting and fix any weak entry points,†Gross advised.

Urbanized raccoons like to make their year-round dens in places like chimneys, garages, attics and underneath decks and porches.

“It often begins because homeowners are being sloppy about their own yards and leave debris and food around and that will only teach raccoons to come back to this property,†Gross said.

When it comes to food, raccoons are not picky, munching on grubs, insects, small rodents, eggs, fruits, nuts and vegetables — things that are often found in garbage at the curbside.

Fiona Venedam, a supervisor with the Toronto’s animal services department, said homeowners should clean their yards of debris, food or garbage.

“Raccoons have amazing dexterity and use their front claws to turn things open. They can turn knobs and handles without any problems, which is why they can also get into your green garbage bins,†Venedam said.

Venedam says there are a number of commercial repellents available, but added oil of mustard, mothballs or moth flakes, cayenne pepper, or ammonia will deter raccoons.

Venedam suggested soaking rags in ammonia and placing them inside garbage cans and around trash storage areas. Mesh or fencing is also effective in keeping the unwanted pests away from designated areas.

“Raccoons are very smart. Once you’ve placed the ammonia in your garbage or they’ve tried the hot and spicy food left in your bin, they will remember where they smelled and tasted it and won’t go back there next time,†Venedam said.

Likewise, if you’ve left raccoons a tasty meal in your garbage bins or yard, they’ll be sure to return.

Homeowners should not approach raccoons or shoo them away, as they can attack people, cautioned Waheed Ahmed, owner of Pesticon Pest Control.

Ahmed said he has received an increase in the number of raccoon removal calls from people’s homes over the years.

“Raccoons can frighten people when they’re cornered. They can be vcious and bite because they themselves fear for their lives,†he said.

I heard that culling pigeons can result in them breeding faster to make up the lost numbers - rendering the cull relatively useless, unless you're going to take out a significant majority of the population.

Is that remotely true?

Solution is simple. Biological warfare. All bets are off.

The comment about faster breeding reminds me of a doc on jellyfish I watched where it was revealed that the act of killing causes them to release millions of eggs and thus spawning the next gen faster and in huge numbers. Apparently they thrive in dead zones and drive everything else out.

Beware....

Last edited:
Solution is simple. Biological warfare. All bets are off.

The comment about faster breeding reminds me of a doc on jellyfish I watched where it was revealed that the act of killing causes them to release millions of eggs and thus spawning the next gen faster and in huge numbers. Apparently they thrive in dead zones and drive everything else out.

Beware....

Oh yeah - wasn't that on Blue Planet or something? I remember Richard Attenborough narrating.

We bought some of those coyote urine pellets to put down near the house outside. Strangely enough, it seems (so far) to have worked. They used to sleep on our roof a few times a week. Since we put some of that stuff out there, they haven't been back.

It's only been about 10 days, but nonetheless, colour me surprised. I was sure it would do absolutely nothing. (We had put down capsicum powder before but it didn't seem to do much.)

I'd think that rags soaked in ammonia would have a similar effect ... and probably more likely to have already in the house!

Back