I think this is going to turn out to be a really nice condo. But I can't help but wonder why they didn't go with double the height they went with....
They were somewhat limited by the parcel size. Remember too that the prior zoning bylaws required parking be at a minimum ratio and this site only just fit some parking with an odd stacking system.

I also don't think every single building needs to be max height. If they're able to make the financials work, then they can do as they please. Taking on a larger building is more risk too, whereas a mid-rise can be easier to take on as a medium sized developer. The cost curve isn't a straight line either, there are costs that go up as you go taller that may scale to unprofitable.

Looks like the cornices have arrived 📢📢📢 @Chronamut
1000010593.jpg

Looks like the cornices have arrived 📢📢📢 @Chronamut
View attachment 591611
Yay cornices! LOL :p

Let's get the render back here for comparison:

1000010501-jpg.591210

1000005593-jpg.553761

Hrmm.. they don't look quite the same as in the render.. but I think I am just seeing the main wall parts..

curious if they are gonna do those broken pediment flares around the main entrance they have in the render.. looks like that part is separate, like stacked on top of the cornice from the pieces I am seeing.. either way good good..

It's amazing how much class a cornice can give to the appearance of a building :)

Last edited:
Yay cornices! LOL :p

Let's get the render back here for comparison:

1000010501-jpg.591210

1000005593-jpg.553761

Hrmm.. they don't look quite the same as in the render.. but I think I am just seeing the main wall parts..

curious if they are gonna do those broken pediment flares around the main entrance they have in the render.. looks like that part is separate, like stacked on top of the cornice from the pieces I am seeing.. either way good good..

It's amazing how much class a cornice can give to the appearance of a building :)
If you zoom in, it appears the precast pieces make up the ground layer of cladding as well as the two levels of cornice with additional top portion.

I'm glad to see Hamilton moving away from precast panels toward hand laid bricks even if I'm mostly expecting a spandrel glass mess above.

Let's see if immediately across the street meets the same level of quality on the podium.

If you zoom in, it appears the precast pieces make up the ground layer of cladding as well as the two levels of cornice with additional top portion.

I'm glad to see Hamilton moving away from precast panels toward hand laid bricks even if I'm mostly expecting a spandrel glass mess above.

Let's see if immediately across the street meets the same level of quality on the podium.
Mm. Indeed.

And yes I made the same observations with the cornice - and as we all know hand laid bricks can still look terrible if they "bind" it every floor making it still look precast in the end.. let's hope the rest of the city has learned from core urban and can make it look seamless. I don't want to see any seams. The end result should look EXACTLY like the render, preserving a heritage look.

Also as long as the podium looks good I am not too worried about how much of a spandrel mess the tower portion is - although I am sure I will still comment with disgust if it is hahaha..

The only thing I don't like about the south side is it increases the "unwalkability" stretch that extends from mcnab to here where it's just an oppressive wall void of storefronts, or.. meaningful storefronts anyways. At least the north side holds more promise.

Back