Looking forward to seeing this one go up. Also with great hope that the owners of the land of the A&W can make their way to retire out the current t use and bring forth another build to the cluster!
Perhaps - but there will be fighting words if anyone tries to demolish those last remaining rowhouses at the end.. demolishing rowhouses is a big nono these days..

Perhaps - but there will be fighting words if anyone tries to demolish those last remaining rowhouses at the end.. demolishing rowhouses is a big nono these days..
I would love to see a Hamilton builder get forced to retain something in a project. The juxtaposition would be spectacular.

I would love to see a Hamilton builder get forced to retain something in a project. The juxtaposition would be spectacular.
1695133792957.png

You mean like the william thomas building?
That one is actually spectacular due to the setbacks in my opinion, lol. Quite imperceptible from the street for better or worse. Initially I meant this in a tongue-in-cheek way, like if something was retained in the new Hilton downtown, but I'm glad some of our examples are being brought forward either way.

That one is actually spectacular due to the setbacks in my opinion, lol. Quite imperceptible from the street for better or worse. Initially I meant this in a tongue-in-cheek way, like if something was retained in the new Hilton downtown, but I'm glad some of our examples are being brought forward either way.
Indeed - one of the few examples that was done brilliantly.

..even if they did screw up the original middle pediments out of a sheer laziness (and cheapness) to build any new pediments in anything other than the standard size the others were, making it look a bit uneven - the pediments in the middle were smaller and it shows with them hanging off the sides and they halfheartedly attempted to patch the original architecture on each side of where the original pediments branched off..

before.jpg

vs after

after.jpg

I know it's a small difference but I am a stickler for details.. esp. heritage ones..

then.jpg

how it originally looked - you can see it's missing the original flanking stone pieces in the middle and the pediments in the middle were narrower giving it a more uniform look - but of course that would have involved additional measurements and more cost, so they cheaped out and just plopped the same sized pediments as the rest on top, and filled in the flanking stone pieces..

you can see they replicated them properly for the top part, but the design for the 2nd and 3rd rows below would have involved a change in the sides of the pediments for it to butt up against them properly...

Last edited:
Looks like the digging is nearing completion with a crane base forming along Caroline St. Two levels of underground parking, I take it? This drone photo is from Sunday, then I saw some concrete trucks on Caroline North earlier yesterday, but am not sure if they were heading here or to the site across the street.

1696347880090.png

Photo from SSP

Looks like the digging is nearing completion with a crane base forming along Caroline St. Two levels of underground parking, I take it? This drone photo is from Sunday, then I saw some concrete trucks on Caroline North earlier yesterday, but am not sure if they were heading here or to the site across the street.

View attachment 510769
Photo from SSP
It has a parking stacking system. So it will be 3 cars deep but take only 2 floors of depth.

There was a ground crane here today. I thought maybe a tower crane might be installed, but alas noting I could see when I walked by. Based on my photos, it looks like the based is poured, so I'm assuming the ground crane might have been lifting other elements like forming walls, other material or perhaps the crane base. It's hard to get a good view of this site.

There was a ground crane here today. I thought maybe a tower crane might be installed, but alas noting I could see when I walked by. Based on my photos, it looks like the based is poured, so I'm assuming the ground crane might have been lifting other elements like forming walls, other material or perhaps the crane base. It's hard to get a good view of this site.
There's a crane base on site here.

Back