from today
20121103031.jpg

Nice article on the build-up of Southcore............Toronto’s south core – wrong side of the tracks no longer

“Look at [Royal Bank of Canada] kicking off the new RBC WaterPark tower. That’s another example of a major financial institution that’s gone south of the tracks. So I think it’s wide open.â€

Since 2006, Toronto has been in the midst of an office building boom and much of it is happening in the south core, said Julian Brandon, a commercial real estate consultant with DTZ Barnicke Ltd.

The current development cycle is also dominated by south core towers, including RBC WaterPark Place, at 88 Queens Quay, the new site of its personal and commercial banking group, and 120 Bremner Blvd. (with tenants Marsh Canada Ltd. and SNC Lavalin), as well as proposed/pre-leasing sites such as 1 York St., 265 Queens Quay and 16 York St. (with rumours that companies such as Apple Canada and Cisco are looking for south-core space).

Out of the last 10 developments, seven have been south core, south of Union Station,†Mr. Brandon said. “And half of the next phase of planned ones are also in that area. So that’s basically the story in the new development era.â€

Stuart Barron, national director of research for Cushman & Wakefield, adds, “There’s about four million square feet on the rise. The only new building rising in the [traditional] core is the Bay-Adelaide east tower … close to 65 per cent [of total downtown office developments] are rising south of Front Street.â€
More.............http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...-side-of-the-tracks-no-longer/article4930182/

By the way whats up with 265 Queens Quay .:confused:

I always enjoy seeing the term Southcore used, although this is the first time I've seen it written "south core" which is more of a description than a name.

I believe 265 Queens Quay is the parking lot across from HTO Park, at least that's what google earth came up with.

I believe they mean 265 Queens Quay East, in the Hines project.

So they've reached grade? Now this thing is probably going to go up a storey every few weeks.

Back