News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

If this was 1966-76 China, Zhang Huan wouldn't be expressing anything. The criticism of his recent work has been that he's toned things down considerably from his early performance art. Just look at the difficulties Ai Weiwei is having with the state.

While at the German Consulate looking at the Museum Island exhibit, I took this shot of the roof of the Reference Library which has several green roofs that can't be seen from the street. Their addition really improves the view of the city from above.

IMG_3398_1-L.jpg

Discovered in the northwest corner of the second floor of the library. Photo taken 25 January 2014.

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 1,161
Last edited:
Every time I walk by the library I get so angry at the botched job of the entrance. They plopped that ugly cube on the front and wiped out the organic downward flow of the glass above -- it's inexplicable, especially since the cube seem completely non-functional. I just don't get it. (The rest of the reno seems nice, however.)

I find the entire renovation to be quite disjointed, if I'm honest. There are some great interventions on the interior but I'm not satisfied with the mismatched quality of the anodized aluminum & glass cube look vs. the architectural concept/expression of the original.

Reviving this thread to feature the next big TRL capital project (or series of them).

The collection of various smaller projects, both interior and to the streetscape/public realm are grouped under the TRL Re-Imagine program.

A report on the above is headed to next week's Library Board meeting which awards the contract for this work for the next year with renewal options for the next 4 thereafter to IBI.

The total budget is just over 44M

From the above:

1679330899626.png

1679330923298.png

1679330961149.png

The program is obviously back-end loaded, as only 12.5M is allocated for the first 5 years.
1679331060316.png

Does anyone know what is going on with the water features? It’s been bone dry and looking miserable. I hope this isn’t a case of them forgetting to turn it back on.

Back