Took this today while biking along Gerrard. Several buildings are empty and they\'ve cut some trees.

PXL_20231130_194939534.jpg

After an extensive international search and a Qualifications-Based Selection (QBS) process, TCHC has announced that architectsAlliance (a-A), in collaboration with Danish firm Cobe Architects, have been chosen to design the next building in the ongoing Regent Park revitalization project. This collaboration will bring the community’s vision for Phases 4 and 5 to life.

Working together, a—A and Cobe will design Building 1A on the 69-acre revitalization project. This 26-storey mixed-use residential building, located on Block 2 of Regent Park’s Phase 4 lands, will offer approximately 274 TCHC units, generous community spaces, and even a rooftop farm. The design will prioritize accessibility, exceeding the Ontario Building Code and meeting the standards set by the Responsible Personal Accessibility in Toronto Housing (R-PATH) Committee.

Building 1A holds significant importance as it will be the first site in the last phases of the Regent Park revitalization. It will also adhere to the City’s new Toronto Green Standards (Version 4, Tier 2), aiming to achieve a near-net zero carbon standard—a remarkable first for Regent Park and for a TCHC building of this scale.

The design collaboration, in close consultation with the Regent Park master plan consultant team and TCHC’s developer partner Tridel, seeks to elevate the overall design of the Regent Park community. It will draw inspiration from the beautiful and functional architectural features that have become a signature of the Regent Park revitalization. Moreover, the building will set the standard for future developments in Phases 4 and 5, aligned with the community vision set by the recent Regent Park rezoning approval.

TCHC has prior experience working with a—A on the first project of Phase 1 of the Regent Park revitalization. The Dundas-Sackville Apartments, certified with LEED Silver, set a high benchmark for architectural excellence in subsequent phases of the project. Demonstrating TCHC’s commitment to environmental sustainability and accessibility in all new developments and revitalized buildings.

Both a—A and Cobe share a reputation for designing quality multi-unit residential buildings. Recently, they joined forces to design apartment buildings in Toronto’s Canary District as part of the West Don Lands redevelopment project, which integrates affordable rental and market housing along with various amenities and services catering to citizens of all ages and life stages.
A bit late to the game here and forgive my ignorance, but does this mean that COBE will take place of Karacusevic Carson in phases 4/5? I tried finding more info but am confused.

A bit late to the game here and forgive my ignorance, but does this mean that COBE will take place of Karacusevic Carson in phases 4/5? I tried finding more info but am confused.

Karacusevic are the master plan architects - cobe / aa have been hired to design the first building within that master plan. Hopefully Tridel / tchc continue to hire good quality designers for the remaining blocks, including Karacusevic!

Not liking the massing of 4A.

Cobe will soon have to rename itself to Cobeto

I know so many artists (musicians, performers, rappers, actors) that have become so successful, as well as people in my circle that grew up in these few apartment blocks in Regent. While i'm not sad to see these manhattan-style 'projects' go in exchange for beautiful Danish buildings, walkability and community activations, I know that informally, part of the plight of being from Regent always meant that the best artists would work extra harder and always create such deep works grounded in surpassing or coping with adversity.

Mustafa the poet is one of those people.

I am sad that there is an erasure of a past that, while gritty and unsafe, created profound altruism, connection and community spirit, which birthed many of my favourite people. I'm hoping that this next chapter in Regent will prove to be a breeding ground for the next generation of artists who don't have to suffer as hard.

I wonder if, with the addition of this building, Toronto has the highest concentration of Danish designed buildings outside of Denmark?
I think KCA are based out of *London though from what I gather.

*Note: Not London, Ont...just to be clear.

Back