News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 3.3K     0 

Admiral Beez

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Honor system.
That's not going to work.

The fix is simply. There are bound to be entire departments of city staff running at half speed right now, many working from home. Task these staffers to finding ghost hotels and other bylaw-contravening units on AirBnB and other STR sites. Once identified, the City legal office sends a cease order with threat of commercial designation and property seizure.

Why this City government pussy foots around on important issues when they have hammers at their disposal baffles me. Private and commercial vehicles parked on bike lanes.... f#ck the $150 tickets. If we're hitting fare scofflaws with $800 tickets on the TTC, automobile owners should get $1,000 fine for every hour they sit in a bike lane. And immediate clamp and tow for all black plate (commercial) operators. Hit them hard, hit them often, and make sure you have enough enforcement people to near guarantee the bastards get dinged. Same goes for illegal STRs, hit them hard.... make the fines huge, $1,000 for every day an illegal unit is seen on STR sites.... property seizure and auction for multiple offenders.

Last edited:

Jonny5

Member Bio
Reaction score
Can anyone that lives there chime in? I knew it was bad, but sheesh!
I have never been in the building, but I am acquainted with someone who moved to Toronto from Chicago for work, with much of that work requiring time at the Scotiabank Arena. She knew almost nothing about Toronto, so decided the best option was to rent a place as close to the arena as possible, which wound up being one of the ICE towers. She says the building would be totally dead and empty on Mondays to Wednesdays. The elevators empty with no stops from a 30-something floor to the ground level, no one but a security guard in the lobby, and the whole building silent. Then on Thursday evenings it would start to change; there's suddenly more people around she had never seen before; and it would reach a peak on Saturday nights where there would suddenly be music blasting from every suite on her floor at max volume, parties that spilled out into the hallways and would go on until 3 a.m., or later; and the police were in the building too many times to count. She was thankful her job occasionally required travel out of town for the weekend, and would dread the weekends she had to actually stay in Toronto. She moved out as soon as the 12-month lease was over.

Last edited:

TheKingEast

Member Bio
Reaction score
I have never been in the building, but I am acquainted with someone who moved to Toronto from Chicago for work, with much of that work requiring time at the Scotiabank Arena. She knew almost nothing about Toronto, so decided the best option was to rent a place as close to the arena as possible, which wound up being one of the ICE towers. She says the building would be totally dead and empty on Mondays to Wednesdays. The elevators empty with no stops from a 30-something floor to the ground level, no one but a security guard in the lobby, and the whole building silent. Then on Thursday evenings it would start to change; there's suddenly more people around she had never seen before; and it would reach a peak on Saturday nights where there would suddenly be music blasting from every suite on her floor at max volume, parties that spilled out into the hallways and would go on until 3 a.m., or later; and the police were in the building too many times to count. She was thankful her job occasionally required travel out of town for the weekend, and would dread the weekends she had to actually stay in Toronto. She moved out as soon as the 12-month lease was over.

Sounds like a nightmare.