Walker, who has always spoken with the "NIMBYs" in the area, and who opposed Minto-Midtown, supports the project:

Councillor backs Tridel proposal to rebuild North Toronto Collegiate, adding 2 high-rises

January 16, 2007
Donovan Vincent City hall bureau

A developer's proposal to demolish and rebuild North Toronto Collegiate and construct two condo high-rises on the same site has the support of the local councillor who says the plan is unusual but necessary.

"There's a socially redeeming factor to this (development) that warrants entering into this partnership with a couple of condominiums,'' Councillor Michael Walker (Ward 22, St. Paul's) said yesterday.

The redevelopment plan, which also calls for a new full-sized track and field facility on the site, is needed because North Toronto, the first phase of which opened in 1912, is crumbling, Walker said.

The Toronto District School Board has agreed to sell land at the Yonge St. and Eglinton Ave.-area site to Tridel, which will build on the property. The board will use money from the land sale to pay for the school's construction.

Aside from the new school and sports facility, the plan, which goes before Toronto and East York community council today and city council next month, also leaves room for a new swimming pool on the Roehampton Ave. site.

Tridel has pledged $400,000 to help pay for a pool.

The school board decided against renovating North Toronto Collegiate because it is too badly deteriorated, a decision supported by the city's Heritage Preservation Services, said co-ordinator Brian Gallaugher.

But historical and architectural features from the old school are to be preserved and incorporated in the new building, such as major entranceways, date stones, decorative stone panels and original brick, elements that will become part of the school's internal courtyard.

Under the plan, the project would roll out in two phases. First, a 24-storey condo building would be constructed while portions of the existing school are demolished to make way for an underground parking garage for 553 cars.

Construction of the new school would also begin.

In phase two, the new school would open and demolition completed on the old one. Work on the sports field would begin.

A 25-metre pool – for public and school use – would be built later under the sports field, according to the proposal.

Timing for construction of the other 27-storey condo tower on the site depends on pre-sold units.

The project ensures "we end up with a Class A high school carrying on the tradition that North Toronto has in the city, producing super students who go on to leadership capacities,'' Walker said.

He admitted it's a bit strange to see projects coming forward calling for newly built schools and condos on the same site. And though he said he's not a big fan of such arrangements, he predicts they'll become more common in the future.

"The money from Queen's Park just isn't there,'' Walker said.

He added that the high-rise condos will be in keeping with those built in the area.

"It's in an area of high-density residential uses.

"The project is not excessive or out of scale with what's around it,'' he said.

"We already have high density, and we'll need more recreational facilities," Walker said. "This is an opportunity to do that as cheaply as possible."

I can't help but think this would be a good time for them to rename the school. It's not so much North Toronto anymore, if we're to have a sense of the enlarged city as the City.

More like Mid-Toronto, methinks. MTCI?

Yes, "North Toronto" needs not to be understood as "that part of Toronto that lies geographically north" any more than "New Toronto" means "newer than Rexdale".

As for mid-Toronto, I wonder if we can discuss again the uptown, midtown, and downtown distinctions again.

"As for mid-Toronto, I wonder if we can discuss again the uptown, midtown, and downtown distinctions again."

I guess "Downtown North York," being south of York and north of downtown, really confuses the issue.

edit - and North York Centre has both its own Uptown (Yonge & Finch) and Downtown (Yonge & Sheppard) portions.

Well, the Republic sales office is open for business...prices are pretty high, with a 1050 sq ft unit going for $487,000, more than $100,000 more than comparable units in Quantum 2.

Interesting. Personally, I like the Minto project a lot better, but I'm biased since I bought a unit there.

The Republic has a few more 'green features' which are costly. Also the land deal was made a few years after Minto and land costs have gone up significantly. Material costs for construction have also been increasing much faster than inflation. So a new Tridel project just opening up the street from a Minto project that has been on the market for ~3 years is most definitely going to cost quite a bit more per square foot. Tridel also typically has fairly high end interior space. Although Minto-Midtown will also be fairly luxurious.

Good points about costs. But of course the costs can only drive the price so far...there must be some belief on Tridel's part that people are willing to pay $475+/sq foot at this location...even if it does mean living on top of a high school.

I was at a meeting of our professional appraisers' group tonight which was addressed by a representative of Tridel. They have sold over half of the units in the Republic project in three weeks (both buildings). They deliberately decided that the neighbourhood could bear a high "price point", based largely on their experience selling 123 Eglinton East, as well as the resales in that building which are now over $400 / sq. ft. As another factor he also mentioned lack of product in that neighbourhood, which has been noted before.

On a somewhat different topic he commented that Toronto, supposedly facing bankruptcy soon, could raise mega-millions by either selling off some city-owned land to developers, or by partnering to deliver public amenities in conjunction with private development (the Republic condo / new high school building being the obvious example). The TTC has made a few half-hearted gestures in this direction. He obviously has some vested interest, but I thought his point was well taken.

Observer Walt - selling off the land bank should be done - to do improvements to the city, new capital projects..

As it stands the proceeds of any sale will just plug holes and partially refill scandalously depleted reserves and next time what do we sell?

Republic of Yonge & Eglinton

New construction camera went online this week that will show high resolution pictures of the Republic of Yonge & Eglinton construction site every 30 minutes. Every month the images will be assembled into a video.

Here's the link: http://www.ucitonline.com/republic/

Attachments

• 20080124construction.jpg
    20080124construction.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 418
ya, thanks for all the pics on the various Tridel related projects... just wondering if there is any way to get the images to be larger though?

ahh this has started. Im very interested to see how it turns out since I went to NTCI from 95-2000.

Can't wait...

Back