Republic at Yonge and Eglinton

I know there is a thread about this one somewhere but I haven't the time to find it so here is a link to the webcam. This site is massive if you actually go in person and check it out. The giant pit goes from Roehampton to Broadway, and as you can see from the camera pointing east, it is fairly large from westside to eastside, and that pic doesn't even show the rest of the pit which is hidden by the school. :eek: Anyway, I will try to get some pics later as I didn't have my camera last night, but if you have the chance go, cause that pit is one of the biggest I've seen in Toronto.

http://www.ucitonline.com/republic/

Taken from Sunday's "suburban" Critical Mass...

DSCN5255.jpg

The hole is larger than large. ITs massive. It puts every other pit in the city that I have seen so far this or last year to shame. Very Huge....

It's a large hole in terms of area (and volume, i suppose) but it's not too deep. Looks like ~ 3 levels of underground parking

I dunno about that. Absolute is ridiculously deep. Although Shangri-La is on a smaller lot I think, so maybe you're right.

This is a massive site with 4 cranes in action. They look to be reaching ground level on the south and east sides. I will post pic's soon.

well ive seen the vu hole, ive seen shangri la, and while maybe they were deeper, this one is larger by perimeter and area. Its more than three floors deep, as its the same depth as the height of the older NTCI next door. That was three school floors which if you notice on the condo across the street from the school, is actually like 5-7 normal floors. This hole is massive, go by and check it out, it took me almost 10 minutes to walk around it. It will fit two towers and a huge new school in it, so I have to say its for sure the largest hole ive seen in the city, maybe aside from the dome.

Wait, I don't get it. Why is the school being demolished? Is it to build a running track and football field? Presumably, the 50-odd students in the track and field and football teams could share space with another school in the immediate area, no?

A new school will be built into the condo complex, then the old one will be leveled to become the new field. I think I read the old building is constructed out of asbestos, lead, and insulated with urea formaldehyde, so it was finally time to go.

Back