There's no way that school should be allowed to be demolished.

Why?

Should the students be made to stay in an old, falling apart building with poor heating/air conditioning? Should the board be made to continue to throw dollars at trying to duct tape such an old building together?

Or should they be allowed to construct a new, modern facility on the same site, as per the current plans?

^Keep both schools. New school for the kids, old school for the graduates...aka, Loretto College (on Brunswick) styled lofts in the old school.

The track could be moved to one of those huge parking lots nearby....

^Keep both schools. New school for the kids, old school for the graduates...aka, Loretto College (on Brunswick) styled lofts in the old school.

The track could be moved to one of those huge parking lots nearby....

What "huge parking lots nearby" are you referring to?

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.as...re1=Yonge and Eglinton, TOronto, ON&encType=1

How feasible is it really to convert the old school as you suggest? Who would pay? Keep in mind the building is supposedly rather decrepit.

I walked around the area last weekend for the first time, and discovered a few hidden gems surrounded by massive parking lots.

A 3 minute walk from the school, across the street I saw:

dsc00537p.jpg

That is a giant parking lot!

I think that is also known as "residents parking for 66 Broadway Avenue" :p

I walked around the area last weekend for the first time, and discovered a few hidden gems surrounded by massive parking lots.

A 3 minute walk from the school, across the street I saw:

That is a giant parking lot!

Just from poking around with the Bing Maps, I'm guessing that is the lot behind the apartment building across Broadway to the north east of the school.

Several things come to mind:
- Isn't that lot private property (ie owned by the apartment building)?
- Doesn't the apartment building kind of expect to be able to have some kind of parking facility?
- Even if you did somehow take over that space, it looks significantly smaller from the air than the current school field (noting that the track there right now is smaller than regulation to begin with).

There's a proposal for a 30+ story building on that parking lot.

Yep, 32 rental to be exact - on erickson < can never spell that right.

The residents in my building adjacent to the site - 88 Boadway, are already complaining :)

Not about the height, they don't seem to want the retail portion to be included and the loading dock for the new building to be moved.

There's a proposal for a 30+ storey building on that parking lot.

yes you're right BobBob ... a 35s proposal (shown below) exists for 99 Erskine Avenue, which is only on the northern portion of 66 Broadway property (the north parking lot abutting Erksine Ave) as shown on the site plan (page 6) contained in the City Planning Preliminary Staff Report, but not on the parking lot shown in urbandreamer's photo

Related Thread: 99 Erskine (Beaux Properties, 35s, Bernard Watt)

99Erskine.jpg

99Erskinerender.jpg

This is a residential street. There is plenty of retail (almost too much) a few steps away on Yonge.

FYI - I live in 66 Broadway, and you guys may be interested to know that while the lot in urbandreamer's pic is resident parking for 66, there is also an underground parking lot directly beneath it. Not sure how many cars there are in the UG parking (don't have wheels, myself) but I know that some residents choose above-ground because it's cheaper. The lot backing onto 99 Erskine is a metered pay lot... I guess owned by Beaux (who also own 66 Broadway) since they're the ones proposing the new building. Also, there's an outdoor swimming pool nestled between the lots. Not sure what the plan is for the pool...

thanks for clarifying Thesb ... as for the existing swimming pool, I believe Beaux's intention is to remove that pool when the redevelopment proposal for 99 Erskine goes through, and in turn constructing a replacement swimming pool + garden in lieu

See for yourself on the Site Plan contained in page 6 of the City Planning Preliminary Report

How feasible is it really to convert the old school as you suggest? Who would pay? Keep in mind the building is supposedly rather decrepit.

The city certainly dropped the ball by not properly maintaining what should be a heritage protected structure over the years, but I really don't think it would have been an unreasonable concession to ask of Tridel, a very successful developer with very deep pockets, to contribute a significant cash infusion to refurbish the existing gorgeous school, with a modern addition. Frankly it sickens me that the city apparently didn't make the effort.

Back