News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

I thought the Wajid Khan case wasn't nearly as offensive as David Emerson's defection and appointment to a high profile position...

AoD

Emerson takes the cake for the most offensive crossing the floor, followed by:

Belinda Stronach
Wajid Khan
Garth Turner

In that order, IMO. All are wrong.

Then there are the extra-parliamentary defections like that of Bob Rae. He was a NDP MP as well as a MPP/Premier. And that twat Jean Lapierre.

I don't count politicans that move to a new party, otherwise, that would count a lot of people in the Bloc and Reform/Alliance/Conservatives.

What's KILLING me is with each new election, I get handed a list of candidates I don't want to choose from. And the old "hold your nose and vote" can't work for me anymore.

And what's the difference between a democracy with no real choice between candidates and the old "You can vote for any communist you want"? ---aside from the Canadian constitution, I mean.

These are interesting points, Muse. I think many voters (except for the real ultra party-types) have similar experiences to a greater or lesser degree. I know a number of very well educated people who do not vote for exactly the reasons that you have expressed. Instead, they have decided to put there time and efforts into organizations that better reflect their interests and beliefs concerning the needs of society. These outside organizations can, at times, persuade governments to change their agendas. In a certain respect, this type of activity represents a kind of private political party of sorts. But for those who are interested in specific issues, it is an approach with focus.

Nevertheless, this approach does have a potential negative impact on the political system. But is it any worse than what many politicians do to the system themselves? One need only attend question period in the House of Commons to see the zoo that exists in Canada's house of parliament. It is embarrassing.

Garth Turner did not switch from Conservative to Liberal. He was an independent for several months before he joined the Liberals, so this is not even remotely comparable to Wajid Khan floor-crossing. It is not floor-crossing, period.

doady, you are officially "splitting hairs" with this statement. Garth was elected to the house as a Conservative, regardless of the fact that he sat as an independent. Should one assume that his Conservative ideals have been reprogrammed with Liberal beliefs?

Though don't forget that Garth defeated *another* Conservative-turned-Liberal: former MPP and provincial Speaker (and current regional chair) Gary Carr.

As I see it, unless there's a huge anti-Liberal swing in these parts (and like Belinda, Garth didn't exactly win by a landslide as a Tory--less than 2000 votes and 3% margin), he's probably back in, because he's already cemented himself as a populist hero of sorts--heck, in the way he's practically welcoming a byelection, this is the most anti-party-switch party-switch I've seen...

If I was left leaning, I would never vote for either the Liberals or CPC. IMO, only the NDP seem to avoid the floor crossing, and instead remain loyal, as the saying goes "you dance with the guy that brought you".

But...since you're right-leaning you don't mind the floor crossing and vote Tory?

But...since you're right-leaning you don't mind the floor crossing and vote Tory?
No, I very much do mind the floor crossing. Thus I think the NDP sets a good example.

Back