I'm assuming you are totally guessing to what the cost are...

Don't assume. My info is from Tribute (in relation to this project) as well as someone from Tridel who is working on James Cooper Mansion. Ask anyone in the industry and they will give you the same information. $35,000 avg/spot is the highest i've heard of.

You are the one assuming.

Last edited:
I apologize for making an assumption regarding your construction background - but the are a lot of baseless numbers tossed around and presented as facts. Avg spots in the core may cost the amount you've now suggested in the 35k range vs 20k, but some sites with specific environmental characteristics and deeper excavations are even higher and there are soft costs and carrying costs associated with hard construction costs.

This is a massive tangent, but the issue is that parking is very expensive and often built at a loss, not at a profit. The precedent that this project approval sets may lead to others not just due to a planning rationale, but also due to an economic rational with parking being so costly to construct.

Parking has always been costly to construct, depending how deep you have to go. If there is such a thing as a "loss leader" in the real estate business, this would be it. Builders would no doubt be very glad to build the minimum number of spaces they can get away with, down to nothing at all if possible.

I continue to question how this project will work. It's obviously in an excellent core location, on top of a subway and within walking distance to lots and lots. But I still can't visualize what visitors will do. They won't all arrive on the subway. This will be an interesting one to watch.

Parking has always been costly to construct, depending how deep you have to go. If there is such a thing as a "loss leader" in the real estate business, this would be it. Builders would no doubt be very glad to build the minimum number of spaces they can get away with, down to nothing at all if possible.

I continue to question how this project will work. It's obviously in an excellent core location, on top of a subway and within walking distance to lots and lots. But I still can't visualize what visitors will do. They won't all arrive on the subway. This will be an interesting one to watch.

My building has no visitor parking. Guests either have to park on the street or in a private lot. The building is ancient too, so its nothing new.

My building has no visitor parking. Guests either have to park on the street or in a private lot. The building is ancient too, so its nothing new.

Is it possible that your building was ancient to the point that it could be built before automobiles became a 'norm' in North America ? ;)

I can appreciate having very few or no visitor parking for a small walk-up apartment or grade related housing ... but having only 9 Autoshare spaces for this 300+ unit condo is simply insane ~ finding a parking spot (on street or in private lot) in the downtown core isn't exactly as easy as finding a space in Midtown / North York / Scarborough

Last edited:
Is it possible that your building was ancient to the point that it could be built before automobiles became a 'norm' in North America ? ;)

I can appreciate having very few or no visitor parking for a small walk-up apartment or grade related housing ... but having only 9 Autoshare spaces for this 300+ unit condo is simply insane ~ finding a parking spot (on street or in private lot) in the downtown core isn't exactly as easy as finding a space in Midtown / North York / Scarborough

Im in an 11 storey building.

I have never had trouble finding parking downtown. On the street can be challenging, but I have never had problems finding spots in private lots. The private lots around 426 University also have the capacity for guests of the proposed building. Ive already done my homework on that issue.

Does anyone know when Tribute is really to sell this condo? I've seen ads of this development on various realtor's blogs.

Being mentioned on realtors' blogs won't mean much. They are looking for contacts, and if you aren't willing to wait for this project, they will try to switch you into another one.

There is no mention of this project on Tribute's website, and the Military Institute doesn't seem to be making any effort yet to move out.

Being mentioned on realtors' blogs won't mean much. They are looking for contacts, and if you aren't willing to wait for this project, they will try to switch you into another one.

There is no mention of this project on Tribute's website, and the Military Institute doesn't seem to be making any effort yet to move out.

Actually, its been on their website for a while now. Its on the bottom left corner. Its only registration.

I think the military institute will still be there when the sales office opens. The plan was to use part of the back of the RCMI building as the sales office until construction begins.

You're building likely doesn't have 1/6th the units this one has proposed. Relying on commercial lots for parking (visitor or resident) is not a good direction for this city to be going.

i've always thought it would be better if condo buildings had double the required spots and have them used as paid public parking.

it's great that we're getting rid of sprawling surface parking lots, but what are you going to do to replace them?

you hear ppl complain about the lack of spaces now, do you think it will get better in the next decade or longer, considering how slowly our mass transit infrastructure takes to complete?

Why should residential developers be forced to subsidize parking? Why can't the city (or private investors, for that matter) build commercial garages to satisfy this pressing need, if it indeed exists?

Because then you would have the same kind of soul-deadening 'urbanism' which plagues many American cities as a result of their having thrown up multi-story parking garages and encouraging people to commute from the 'burbs. Not to mention that these empty shells reinforce all the dated, inaccurate stereotypes which those people commuting in have about the "danjurus downtown" and all the indigent criminals who 'control' it.

It's funny how easily people forget that Toronto is sadly abnormal for having such a vibrant, active core.

^ That's very true. People - especially Europeans - complain about Toronto having an "American-style" downtown, which is superficially true next to your average European city. But it's a simulacrum - an imitation of something that doesn't really exist. How many big American cities are there where the urban lifestyle is actually liveable?

Not many. Rule out NYC because it's NYC, and is less an "American city" than a global anomaly. We can rule out LA because it's LA. That leaves, what? Boston, Chicago, and SF?

What about Portland, Seattle and Philly? Admittedly I haven't been to any of them, but from what I've read and heard they have a reputation for urbanity (by American standards, of course).

Back