Great stuff! Ritz is catching up to RBC!

Four, possibly five more floors until it reaches the roof level (not the lantern) of RBC

Ritz on Sunday and the new Simcoe St. underpass:

img8100r.jpg

gorgeous colour vibrancy in that shot! Nice to see this area finally taking shape (I havent yet seen the underpass in person).

Thanks! The underpass is nice. Very clean and bright, for now...

Another beautiful shot, Grey. Props to both you and Redroom for continually bringing out the beauty in this city--especially over the past few days.

Good to see some pedestrians in the area. I've walked out that way on several occasions and have noticed that this part of town is starting to pick up.

The one that stands out the most in that shot is the Intercontinental. It upstages the nothingness of all that blue glass around it, and indeed uses it to its best advantage by playing off of it and reflecting off of it... so nice to be the one in red when everybody else is wearing black.

The one that stands out the most in that shot is the Intercontinental. It upstages the nothingness of all that blue glass around it, and indeed uses it to its best advantage by playing off of it and reflecting off of it... so nice to be the one in red when everybody else is wearing black.

I agree. While I find the Intercontinental building unattractive, it is nice to see the diversity and different built-styles interacting. I also like the step-up dynamic starting with the Intercontiental to Simcoe to RBC.

Also, Drum's first picture is one of the best pictures I've seen of Front Street's streetwall. So much more can be done with Front Street.

I think my senses are becoming a little dulled to modern minimalism. No matter how beautiful it is too much of a good thing... I'm starting to see buildings like the Intercontinental and the Hyatt on King in a different light. I think this is why I'm also on record for liking BSN, no matter how clunky and imperfect it is, and I think I like it all the more for it.

I think my senses are becoming a little dulled to modern minimalism. No matter how beautiful it is too much of a good thing... I'm starting to see buildings like the Intercontinental and the Hyatt on King in a different light. I think this is why I'm also on record for liking BSN, no matter how clunky and imperfect it is, and I think I like it all the more for it.

I agree. Too much glass in one concentration is just that, too much. I am of the opinion that various styles and forms need to be arranged together so that they respect each other and combine to define the city. Toronto's tendency to build in one style at a time throughout various booms has reduced its visual impact and, perhaps, stifled the architects' appetite for innovation. Perhaps in a few years all these glass towers will be viewed with the same distain as the concrete slabs from the 60-70s and PoMo mushrooms of the 80s-90s. Looking 40 years into the future, I see the Ritz being reclad in carrera marble and the glass being recycled...:cool:

Daily Commercial News

Ritz-Carlton on the rise in Toronto
September 23, 2009

110.jpg

WILLIAM CONWAY/PROGRESS PHOTOGRAPHY

Work continues to move upwards on the Residences at the Ritz-Carlton hotel and condo project in Toronto.

EllisDon Corp. has completion of the 53-storey tower, with 267 guest suites and 135 condominium units, scheduled for summer 2009.

The project also includes a restaurant, ballrooms and a spa.

The Ritz-Carlton hotel and condos were designed by Page + Steele Inc.

Consultants are: Halcrow Yolles (structural); The Mitchell Partnership (mechanical); and Hidi Rae Consulting Engineers (electrical).

Subtrades include: C & T Reinforcing Steel Co. Ltd.; Global Precast; Limen Masonry; Rom-Tal Mechanical Inc.; Nortown Electrical Contractors Associates; Sprint Insight Inc. (HVAC); and Sota Glazing Inc.

http://www.dailycommercialnews.com/article/id35412

EllisDon Corp. has completion of the 53-storey tower, with 267 guest suites and 135 condominium units, scheduled for summer 2009.

Something tells me they're not going to make that target!

Four, possibly five more floors until it reaches the roof level (not the lantern) of RBC

Taken today, Sept. 23rd. It's kind of hazy today so these are not great shots. Ritz-Carlton can be seen to the left (and behind) The Sheraton Centre or behind City Hall. From my POV, Ritz and The Sheraton Centre are currently equal in height (although they're not really equal in height).

The hoarding covers four floors, nine to go.

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

Back