Yes that s the brochure I was talking about.
The top doesn't live up to the early promo
shots (but it never does in architecture).

That's because the view is looking at it from the north. From the north, the slanted roof will be unnoticeable if looking at it head on.

Sept 15

IMG_sept-15-09-0200.jpg

IMG_sept-15-09-0204.jpg

IMG_sept-15-09-0205.jpg

IMG_sept-15-09-0197.jpg

This tower has so many intricate lines and the way the different sections of the massing meet each other is very interesting. The building is looking so much better as they stitch the different componens of the massing together. :) :) :)

I don't know what to make of this building. Aside from the striking roof, there is not much going for in terms of design. I am sure the interior will be top-notch, but the exterior architecture is quite bland, IMO.

You know, if you take away the podium, this building is rather bland and conservative. You can hardly notice any of the curve on the south side and if you're standing directly across from it, you can't tell at all. I know many people on here like glass boxes, minimalist designs and subtlety but in terms of standing out from the crowd, this tower does little to distinguish itself. (Like I said, besides the wonderful podium) The south side is not doing much at all, it's just tall. I wanted to see more of the outward curve, a bit of drama! What's the point of having it, if it's not even noticeable?

You know, if you take away the podium, this building is rather bland and conservative. You can hardly notice any of the curve on the south side and if you're standing directly across from it, you can't tell at all... I wanted to see more of the outward curve, a bit of drama! What's the point of having it, if it's not even noticeable?

But it is, and will be noticeable.

And if you're still not happy, then don't look at it from angles where you don't see the curve. Stand somewhere else to look at it ;).

This building's stand-out details have been put into its silhouette - it's on the skyline where the Ritz has been designed to be noticed.

This tower has so many intricate lines and the way the different sections of the massing meet each other is very interesting. The building is looking so much better as they stitch the different componens of the massing together. :) :) :)

your reading of it is very forgiving. I see it as a mish-mash of a bunch of unrelated elements that really dont add up to much other than height. And to repeat myself, the only redeeming element may be the sloped roof. If its anything less than a 30 degree slope it will just be another box to me. Having said that, the location, views and interior finishes would still make it a desirable place to live. Unfortunately only a very select few can live there and the rest of us are left staring at this hulking bore...

Last edited:
September 18 Pictures

Nice distance shot urbandreamer. Interesting also to see how from there Maple Leaf Square is filling in the skyline gap between the CN Tower.

Ritz is now on the 44th floor - the one with red pillar forms sticking up but no ceiling yet - according to the numbering on the construction elevator.
In the closeup picture, note how the vertical gray "groove" on the left side is now starting to tilt to the right to match the tilt of the south face. Also, now that the glazing is reaching the tilted levels, they've had to put a specially cut thin window to match the angle on the far right.

3932705132_4a604d1458_b.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41002894@N07/3932705132/

3932704952_94a3549693_b.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41002894@N07/3932704952/

Nice shot. Good eye. It will be interesting to watch the glazing "tilt" as the installation gets higher

I'm dissapointed that the vertical "groove" is not black, as the original rendering indicated. It would have contrasted the blue glass nicely.

Back