by caltrane

4043111021_c5ae387600_b.jpg

[

I love how the RC makes the nearby InterContinental, another luxury hotel company, look like a run-down Holiday Inn.

I love how the RC makes the nearby InterContinental, another luxury hotel company, look like a run-down Holiday Inn.

I love how the Intercontinental provides contrast to the glass of RBC/Simcoe/Ritz, and how the precast on the Ritz kind of plays off the colour of the Intercontinental to balance it all out.

I love how the Intercontinental provides contrast to the glass of RBC/Simcoe/Ritz, and how the precast on the Ritz kind of plays off the colour of the Intercontinental to balance it all out.

No arguments here. I was just thinking about the type of consumer they are going after.

Here's a shot of CN Tower, Festival Tower, Ritz/RBC...

****Note how CLOSE Ritz is to RBC!!!!!

4050304609_e9ce9b631c_b.jpg

Ritz/RBC:

4050309027_d9a1bca9e5_b.jpg

Ritz/Festival:

4051053024_e78996d443_b.jpg

Ritz from a moving car!

4050303495_9c98791b8d_b.jpg

In this view I can now see the Ritz! Can't wait till i see more of it though!

4051041348_5fd93d5333_b.jpg

CMON now... the CN Tower ain't THAT tall!... -the moon!

4051062506_2f590e75bb_b.jpg

All photos by me: steveve :)

I was excited about this tower at first but the more I see it, the less I'm impressed. I like the podium but the top curve is quite underwhelming. Walking by on Front Street, most people just think it's an ordinary, flat tower.

I asked 3 friends if they see the tower flaring out and only 1 saw it but he also saw the rendering (which the others didn't) so he knew the top would stick out. Anybody walking on the street would not notice it, so far. I hope that changes. Why make the top stick out if nobody even notices it?

16tueoct27westtoronto09.jpg

By torontovibe, shot with DSC-N1 at 2009-10-27

People will notice the flare once the building tapers back to a point. As noted before, the roof is the most dynamic element of the design.

I asked 3 friends if they see the tower flaring out and only 1 saw it but he also saw the rendering (which the others didn't) so he knew the top would stick out. Anybody walking on the street would not notice it, so far. I hope that changes. Why make the top stick out if nobody even notices it?

You'd prefer...

13445.jpg

Or are you also of the opinion that this is not 'manly' enough?

PE - source please? I don't get the results I'm looking for when I google 'flaccid'.

yes, the slant come back to the front of the builidng, you'll notice it no doubt. But you'll have to wait until construction has topped out at least before it becomes something you're seeing in a major way.

Isn't that the Liebeskind design in Italy that Berlusconi complained about being flaccid?

I was excited about this tower at first but the more I see it, the less I'm impressed. I like the podium but the top curve is quite underwhelming. Walking by on Front Street, most people just think it's an ordinary, flat tower.

Give it time - we'll all see the Full Gumby eventually.

I guess I'm a bit of a drama queen. I like buildings that stand out, make bold statements, have colour and are original. Grey glass boxes just don't provide the drama I need. I know a lot of you so called experts are opposed to any fanciful design details, flashy colours and bold statements but I just can't get excited over THE SAME OLD, SAME OLD. (GREY/GREEN GLASS BOX)

I'm not referring here to Ritz, as it is not a typical, glass box. I just can't wait to see the more dramatic effect of the slope/roof.

Back