Thanks for the excellent photos. It's really exciting to see the interior spaces coming together. And the views from up top are amazing. Glad neither of you suffer from vertigo.

Thanks Gristle, from both Ed and I.

In regards to vertigo... there were moments in the construction elevator... it mostly felt safe, and I am sure it is safe, but when you're not used to something like that, well, you know...

Here are a couple of really short and somewhat unhelpful videos from the ride up: play them loud if you want to recreate the ride more closely! (Warning: these are hardly worth your time.)

[video=youtube;30QWtbhYSAE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30QWtbhYSAE[/video] [video=youtube;F93ypwon0iM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F93ypwon0iM[/video]

Ed has a good story about the construction elevator at 1 King West from several years ago. Maybe he'll tell it at an UT pub night sometime...

Wow neat. Thanks for posting that. You couldn't get me in one of those elevators any amount of money. Okay well maybe a few million would do it... or not. I dunno. It would take a lot!

Same method here Khris - it all has to do with being very close to the objects in the frame. For example, this completely unrelated photo was taken the same way as the ballroom set of images, it's just that the subject is so much farther away...

Oh gotcha... I know what you're saying. I've never done a stitch of an indoors space, so I can see how that would be more difficult with less space to get angles.

Awesome stuff guys! Its such a huge podium! Those skylights are by far some of the coolest in Toronto!!! Such huge buildings looming over! The swimming pool area looks a little small though... i can imagine how busy it will get with such a huge building! Urban Toronto/the Ritz TO, is EPIC in the making :D!

I took this picture a few days ago.

4557022374_695ec3793c_b.jpg

Last edited:
Let's all go to the lobby...

They have a long way to go with the lobby still: the current aim is to open the hotel in time for the Toronto International Film Festival. I hope they make it on time. (Same for another building a couple short blocks from here...)

RitzLobbypano.jpg

The mezzanine bridge that crosses the lobby from one side to the other is currently protected from construction.

RitzEdLobbyOverlook.jpg

Once construction is finished, the bridge will no longer be a visual barrier at all...

RitzEdLobbyBridge.jpg

Another set up stairs to the mezzanine:

RitzEdLobbyMezzanine.jpg

Plastering underway by the front doors.

RitzLobbyPlasteringpano.jpg

Work underway in the area of the Lobby Bar.

RitzEdLobbyCeilingFrame.jpg

These windows look through to the back patio, currently fenced off from the park.

RitzEdBackWindow.jpg

This canopy will protect the back patio from winds sweeping down the south wall of the tower.

RitzEdBackCanopy.jpg

Patio views:

RitzBackPatiopano.jpg

RitzEdLookupfromground.jpg

The panels above the patio take on curving patterns when the sun hits them, suddenly creating play with the panels containing the corrugations:

RitzBackMoire.jpg

And there you go, that's our tour of the Ritz-Carlton. Many thanks again to our hosts David Eisenstadt and Tom Bulkovic!

RitzPark.jpg

Tomorrow, we'll take you back in and up for city views that we saw from the tower.

Photos: i42 1, 5, 9, 11, 12 Ed007 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 10

Last edited:
Wow, that last photo is awesome! Very nice job guys. I'm so excited for UT!

I thought the hotel was going to be open for the G8 Summit?

That was the plan; however, as you can see, they cannot make that date.

In february we were discussing when RC will open and I said that even september is in doubt, no one believed me. Many were insisting that will open for G20 meeting. Unfortunately I was right. Wish it was ready, I am very eager to see it completed... we have to wait few more months.

Every day just gets better :D:D:D!

The ritz's back side looks amazing!!! The cladding has reached the top now giving the ritz an essentially "complete" look!

In Stokex photo, the Ritz looks RAZOR thin! I noticed the back entrance to the Ritz is just a little weak though.... it needs to be a bit more epic imo... but i guess its still u/c so i'll hold on that!

Any idea when the opening date is for the hotel ? Doesn't look like it will be finished in time for the G20.

Ed got lots of lovely pics from up top, so, as promised, here are various views from the Ritz-Carlton's penthouse and roof.

RitzViewsIMG_2144.jpg

RitzViewsIMG_2152.jpg

RitzViewsIMG_2156.jpg

RitzViewsIMG_2160 1.jpg

RitzViewsIMG_2177.jpg

RitzViewsIMG_2178.jpg

RitzViewsIMG_2201 1.jpg

RitzViewsIMG_2217.jpg

RitzViewsIMG_2220.jpg

Back