I've heard that 40-50% of these type of online reviews of hotels are made by competitors. I have no source or any idea how remotely accurate that is, if at all, but just something I heard about, something akin this particular post.

I put no stock in TA reviews when it comes to the high-end market of hotels and restaurants. It is a great tool for pictures though. A better source is for honest, in-depth reviews is the flyertalk site. People who actually travel and stay in these type of properties on at least a semi-regular basis.

When I go to the Ritz-Carlton in Montreal or Paris, I feel elegant and special as soon as I was inside the door. I did not feel this way at this Ritz, rather like I was in a recently refurbished Sheraton. Where has all the glamour gone???

Just to note, the Ritz-Carlton in Montreal, The Ritz in Paris, and The Ritz in Madrid are not are not managed or owned by The Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company. The Ritz in London is a "partner hotel". Just like The Ritz-Carlton in Chicago is actually managed by Four Seasons. Also, isn't the RC in Montreal undergoing a makeover?

We also live in a world with 6 and 7 Star hotels.

I know it's been covered, but there is no such thing as 6 and 7 star rating systems. Just clever marketing by hotels.

I don't get why people think the RC is going to downgrade because of the lack of the "old RC"-style decor and the lack of logo. That design philosophy, across the luxury hotel market, is going out of style. So if it doesn't have the over-the-top, old school decor, it's not as luxurious? As for people walking by, not knowing what it is and thinking it's just another condo, does the property have a big Ritz-Carlton sign outside the building?

Cool YouTube video with GM giving a brief tour of the hotel.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-gjofNCXuE

Last edited:
I put no stock in TA reviews when it comes to the high-end market of hotels and restaurants. It is a great tool for pictures though. A better source is for honest, in-depth reviews is the flyertalk site. People who actually travel and stay in these type of properties on at least a semi-regular basis.

Just to note, the Ritz-Carlton in Montreal, The Ritz in Paris, and The Ritz in Madrid are not are not managed or owned by The Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company. The Ritz in London is a "partner hotel". Just like The Ritz-Carlton in Chicago is actually managed by Four Seasons. Also, isn't the RC in Montreal undergoing a makeover?

I know it's been covered, but there is no such thing as 6 and 7 star rating systems. Just clever marketing by hotels.

I don't get why people think the RC is going to downgrade because of the lack of the "old RC"-style decor and the lack of logo. That design philosophy, across the luxury hotel market, is going out of style. So if it doesn't have the over-the-top, old school decor, it's not as luxurious? As for people walking by, not knowing what it is and thinking it's just another condo, does the property have a big Ritz-Carlton sign outside the building?

What about aerial views during major events such as mmva's, sports games, and the up coming pan am games, and the exposure the Ritz hotel could get it it had a logo? Instead all they will see is another plain average sized glass tower.

Last edited by a moderator:
one possible reason that ritz left out a logo is because the rbc logo and the ritz logo are similar and they both have R and C in the logo and this MAY cause some confusion at least from a distance. see for yourselfs.

Attachments

• ritz_logo.jpg
    ritz_logo.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 201
  • 325px_RBC_logo_svg.jpg
    325px_RBC_logo_svg.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 197
What about aerial views during major events such as mmva's, sports games, and the up coming pan am games, and the exposure the Ritz hotel could get it it had a logo? Instead all they will see is another plain average sized glass tower.

Like this?

TDBankTower-Aug08-004a.jpg

No logo.

those are office towers, they lease their offices out on a annual basis and ritz is a hotel/condo which can use a logo.

one possible reason that ritz left out a logo is because the rbc logo and the ritz logo are similar and they both have R and C in the logo and this MAY cause some confusion at least from a distance. see for yourselfs.

They'd be even more confusable if RBC was still using the old logo with the lion facing left.

those are office towers, they lease their offices out on a annual basis and ritz is a hotel/condo which can use a logo.

Note: it's the Toronto-Dominion Centre. Surely, at least the tallest of them could sport this, by your *harrumph* logic
td_logo.gif

I don't see why a office tower would use a logo, unless it's owned by a famous company like Chrysler. Almost every hotel has a logo, and if they don't well they probably wouldn't want one because it would probably degrade the status.

I don't see why a office tower would use a logo, unless it's owned by a famous company like Chrysler. Almost every hotel has a logo, and if they don't well they probably wouldn't want one because it would probably degrade the status.

Note the BMO, CIBC, Scotia and TD (at BCE) logos surrounding the TD Centre. And I don't understand your Chrysler ref--*that* building hasn't got a logo...

Yes there was a crowd gathered in front on Fri evening, as police and news helicopters kept watch over the scene. All awaiting a glimpse of their hero Sheen. Personally I would not waste one second on that guy, but...
I think some in the crowd had large pro-marijuana flags, black with green leaves on them and I thought I saw puffs of smoke? Is this idea part of Sheen's schtick?
The Ritz would not like this kind of publicity at all ;)

he's a funny guy ^^^
Charlie sheen approved the Ritz as "winning" just by staying there.... they would be proud... :p

but seriously... gotta see what room he stayed at... wonder if he crashed it,

Back