well the best thing is one to go there and ask the hotel CEO or some one that runs the building.. or write a email to the home page..

From Steve Gutfreund, Senior Vice President at Graywood Development: "This is the first of a new and softer Ritz brand. The image is intended to convey discreet sophistication, not in your face. As for the sign at the top of the tower, it was decided to leave it off for now and revisit it at a later date."

In similar words, I was more or less told the same thing. However, when I probed further (with a different senior individual), the root issue appeared to be the effect of the sign on upper floor residents. Supposedly, residents were expressing their distaste for a logo (or signage) that would affect their view after unexpected complications arose for possibly posting it on the top mechanical floors. The complications meant the sign would have to be posted a bit lower, thereby affecting resident views. I was told there was a tug-a-war happening - upper floor residents who don't want the sign blocking their view, senior management that is changing it's stance on signage, and the senior marketing team that wants the sign. The result is no sign for now, until (and if) a compromise can be reached by summers' end.

I agree with previous comments: no logo on the building dilutes the significance, prominence, and opulence of the Ritz. With no logo, the building is just another glass structure on the skyline.

Last edited:
Even if they just went with the smaller logos inside the zipper I'd be satisfied. That would seem discreet and sophisticated to me

From Steve Gutfreund, Senior Vice President at Graywood Development: "This is the first of a new and softer Ritz brand. The image is intended to convey discreet sophistication, not in your face. As for the sign at the top of the tower, it was decided to leave it off for now and revisit it at a later date."

Doesn't sound very ritzy to me.

I bet the ceo of the parent company regrets building a ritz here, and to let the residents of the condo tarnish the image and status symbol of ritz is untolerable! Way to go residents of ritz you made toronto proud, I bet ny, and chicago have a logo.

The Ritz in Chicago is part of the Four Seasons chain. The Ritz Carlton Chicago name is used under special licensing agreements. I think this building would suit a logo. especially the iconic Ritz logo. At least the building looks amazing with or without a logo.

landmark buildings such as hotels, can be recognized even without logos. just off the top of my head, trump chicago, millenium hilton, etc.. all don't have logos, yet they're still accepted as landmark buildings... it ain't that huge of a deal,

Personally if I had had spent well over a million dollars or 2 or possibly more to be on a high floor, I would not want a sign obstructing my view. At the mechanical floors above fine but if posted lower, that would be totally inappropriate. Can you imagine looking out your window at the back of a sign? I would not want that in a rental, let alone a multimillion dollar purchase.

Surely there will be some compromise that will be figured out.

The people should be mad at the design engineers because surely there will be found a way to have it at the mechanical floors.

I note on the same topic that Trump will actually have a sign saying Trump at the top of the building as will SL and I am sure the 4S will as well so I can't believe Ritz won't ultimately.

Last edited:
Logos on towers have always really bugged me. A building isn't a piece of stationery that needs its corporate letterhead emblazoned across its top. Why can't a building be allowed to speak for itself and be its own logo? I mean I think that in this case, where the building is already pretty distinctive architecturally, a logo is especially unnecessary.

B.S. - If they are not putting a logo on it its for a big reason.

Either they are concerned as to whether or not they will still be there in a short while or they dont want to show an immediate association with this building. This "softer brand" statement is nonsense designed to throw us off the scent. Nobody invests this kind of money in a new location and then decides not to brand it - unless they dont think they will be owning it soon.

Alternatively, perhaps Carelton Ritz has a new low-end product coming out and this hotel will be branded accordingly - i.e. the Carleton Ho Jo.

Personally if I had had spent well over a million dollars or 2 or possibly more to be on a high floor, I would not want a sign obstructing my view. At the mechanical floors above fine but if posted lower, that would be totally inappropriate. Can you imagine looking out your window at the back of a sign? I would not want that in a rental, let alone a multimillion dollar purchase

Yeah it's bad enough the windows don't open let alone having a giant lion's head blocking you're million dollar view!!!:p

Obviously they are not pleased with the way the building has turned out. The reason they don't want their logo on the building is that it was not to the quality they might've been expecting. Therefore do not want to communicate around the world that this tower is infact part of the Ritz Brand.

Cal you and I are on the same wavelength most of the time but I really find it hard to believe they would be that upset with the building and the way it has turned out that they would not brand it. Rather, I would think they would seek improvements/restitution from the developer. It may not be so but I believe if they can't get the logo on the mechanical area (which I find unbelievable as surely there is a solution even if expensive), they would still want the branding up there.

Surely they don't stand to make more money by not having the sign up. Locals could only be enticed to stay if they knew it was there so the sign would help and visitors to Toronto will go based on the Ritz reputation rather than the actual Ritz site in Toronto, I would think.

Agreed. Branding with a logo makes sense from a business point of view, no matter how you may feel about it as a smirch on the building.

Back