it sure is taking long for this thing to rise considering the relative speed of the rbc project.

Don't residential/hotel buildings take significantly longer to build because of all the interior detail?

An office is essentially an open floor, in which they slap carpet down and make cubicles. Here, in this case, they must build houses and hotel rooms with intricate details.

ritz.jpg

Don't residential/hotel buildings take significantly longer to build because of all the interior detail?

An office is essentially an open floor, in which they slap carpet down and make cubicles. Here, in this case, they must build houses and hotel rooms with intricate details.

That's essentially correct. Residential properties (incl. hotels) require a lot of internal divisions, kitchens and bathrooms with plumbing lines, etc. These are built as the building goes up.

Most office towers are basically an exterior, a series of concrete floors, and an elevator and services core. The rest is usually done after all of the exterior construction is finished. For large tenancies, the interiors are generally customized somewhat to a tenant's needs (and installed at the tenant's expense).

January 5 2009 update

Northwest View

IMG_3082.jpg

Detail of Facade Panels Used - DaninToronto beat me to it ... it appear grey is used on the north side, and beige is used facing south ~

IMG_3083.jpg

i'm not sure what to make of the cladding. it sort of reminds of MaRS, unfortunately.

i'm REALLY glad its not a concrete or limestone finish. but from the renderings it seemed they would be using a soft, light-coloured cladding there similar to the cladding of the national ballet.

of course, it's still very early. i know this building won't let me down. it's still beautiful.

^ looks like the east/west elevations will narrow/begin to be set back soon.

Only 35 floors to go plus mechanical. The stacking plan is vague, but I'm guessing the last occupied floor/penthouse will sit at the top of the southerly flair/cantilever and the mechanical floors will live in the portion of the tower that angles back north to the tower's pinnacle...

<

wicked pics again CSW... what is the focal length on your wide angle lens? Love how we can see London on the Esplanade in that first pic!

wicked pics again CSW... what is the focal length on your wide angle lens? Love how we can see London on the Esplanade in that first pic!

Thanks Redroom. I'm just playing around with a borrowed lens but the focal length is 10-20. I tried to take most of the pictures between 14-17 range but I think that first one was right from 10. The distortion at the sides is a bit much but it is fun to see London and the CBC's edge in that first picture. I think it the lens worked really well to show all of Ritz in the second picture.

Wow, It would be really interesting for the people in the Penthouse level (if it is the end of the centilever), as the glass would be at the greatest angle there.

So a quetsion for you all ... when will we start seeing the tilt in the building, or can you already?

I thought it was gradual from the 20 or so story? Shouldn't we start seeing it already?

Back