The uneasy cohabitation between the Paramount's Saturday afternoon opera crowd and the "regulars" is something to behold.

A gaggle of the latter staggered in during The Magic Flute last month, did some mock-operatic wailing, and were ushered out. They reminded us all how beautiful the alternative - a well-trained voice - can be.

We even have our own City Room at the Paramount, with a lovely rooftop view.

The Ritz is definitely under construction. I just passed by and they were in the process of breaking up the concrete.

From the EllisDon web site

Simcoe Centre Hotel / Residential Tower (Ritz Carlton) Toronto, Ontario
Released January 16, 2007

EllisDon has been awarded a $225 million Construction Management contract for The Ritz-Carlton, Toronto and The Residences at The Ritz-Carlton. The development is located on the south side of Wellington Street, between Simcoe and John Streets.

The 990,000 square foot facility features a five-star hotel with 266 rooms and 153 condominium residences in a stately, elegant point tower destined to become a city landmark.

Combining classic and contemporary architectural elements throughout, the building has three main components. The tower will rise out of a five-level podium. Storeys six to 20 will contain luxuriously appointed rooms and facilities for hotel guests. Condominium residences will be located on storeys 22 to 58 with a private lobby and amenity centre for residents on the 21st and 22nd storeys.

The five-story podium at the tower's base features a large glass exterior designed to create a sense of interaction between the street and the lobby. The podium will also hold two large ballrooms, fine-dining restaurants, conference and meeting facilities to attract high-end conference and business meeting clients. The grand ballroom will host leading social events and functions.

In addition, the top level of the podium will house a world class 23,000 square foot spa, which will be Toronto's largest and most luxurious.

Most condominium residences will be one, two and three bedroom suites ranging from 1,400 to over 10,000 square feet.

Construction began January 15, 2007 and the anticipated completion date is November 2010.

That does sound like a long time. How deep are they going with the foundations and parking? Perhaps that has something to do with it.

I'm assuming the interiour of the project will take longer to complete in a 5 star building than a standard condo project - that could account for part of the long construction period.

I thought the tower was going to be 53 stories, the article suggests 58?

Maybe they'll skip floors 13, and above where the condos start - 24, 34, 44, 54.

Ta da, 53 = 58 floors.

I hope not, and I wish the city would step in and stop that from occurring. What century are we in that we still allow superstitions dictate our lives?

Is it possible that it will take longer because they will be digging and making the foundation for two buildings? That is quite large and very time consuming..and now with the freezing temperatures..?

p5

2010, huh? They're probably just scheduling more nap times as their workforce ages.

In regards to the 58 floor thing, that would just be a typo. The 5 storey podium really is a 5 storey podium, not a 6 storey podium with no floor 4, so why should they count the tower any differently? Somebody who needs better glasses probably just typed in 58 when that's what they thought they saw.

Re: Ritz-Carlton (UT) - UPDATE

Taken today - excuse the quality, as it was snowing and cold, and I have lost my gloves:
DSCN0032.jpg

Back