Spacing has a shot of the Ritz-Carlton from RBC

4277524472_c56d74fd1f.jpg

Is that a piece of structural steel I see at the top of Ritz? The first of many to form the rest of the roof slope?

:eek:

There is no steel up there when I was shooting it today from different angles.

Does anybody know how many floors they've reached so far?

The Ritz has topped out, there's just the mechanical room/roof feature to go now.

Built with steel and the equvilant of a good 4 to 5 storeys.......

What is taking so long to get on with building this most distinctive roof feature?

Building has been stuck in place for about a month and a half now.

Well, there were the holidays to contend with, and then they had a bit of a cleanup effort (removing the ACS panels and such), and then I'd imagine the forming for the mechanical is probably pretty complex.

I'm still not convinced the mechanical will be entirely concrete either. It seems silly to me to do that in concrete when steel would be so much easier and more logical. The delay we're seeing might be the delay between concrete and steel contractors doing their thing

It looks like pillars on the top floor have not continued the slant, but are completely verticle. It looks odd. I wonder what they're doing.

Last edited:
I didn't even notice that, until you pointed it out. The top floor doesn't have angled windows. Maybe it wasn't possible to do.

It looks like pillars on the top floor have not continued the slant, but are completely verticle (sic). It looks odd. I wonder what's they're doing.

I was going to mention that but I thought everyone was going to think I was just seeing things. I measured the angle and I think they are still off from vertical by a degree but definitely not the same angle as the rest of the slant.

They may have gone vertical because, this being the top floor, there was no need to engineer angled pillars when the curtain wall could be designed to actually follow the rest of the slant and disguise this anomaly. That's my guess. (And what I'm hoping!)

Keep in mind, the whole center section of the south facade on the top floor is actually going to be open to the sky as that is the penthouse's main terrace. The vertical pillars would also allow the two side areas to have a slanted glass roof/skylight feature for the penthouse. (Also a cool idea of mine but not on any renders I have seen.)

Here's a quick line drawing of what I mean:

4292977077_5b97552f30_o.jpg

(Courtesy my drawing skills : )

Last edited:
It looks like pillars on the top floor have not continued the slant, but are completely verticle. It looks odd. I wonder what they're doing.

Excellent observation! and you're completely right!

I don't mind this at all cause its still gonna look sweet!

At the beginning of the slant, I think the first glass that is slanted, the floor is actually vertical as well. So it is possible the glass will still be on a slant on the top floor.

Back