I went at around 10 AM yesterday and walked right in. The lines picked up after 12. I spent about 1.5 hours inside. Truly an amazing experience and definitely one of the best attractions in Toronto.

If someone who's been to some of the other medium / large scale aquariums in the US checks this out please comment !

I had a couple friends go and the reaction was along these lines:
- Better then expected / very high quality / entertaining.
- Not very large.

The higher quality was generally compared to others in Canada - not in the sense of building materials rather how many local aquariums tend to focus on local sea life making it not as interesting to the general masses ..

If someone who's been to some of the other medium / large scale aquariums in the US checks this out please comment !

I had a couple friends go and the reaction was along these lines:
- Better then expected / very high quality / entertaining.
- Not very large.

The higher quality was generally compared to others in Canada - not in the sense of building materials rather how many local aquariums tend to focus on local sea life making it not as interesting to the general masses ..

Having been to a few high profile aquariums, I thought Ripley's Aquarium of Canada was small and mostly average, but did some things really really well.

The dangerous lagoon, the stingray tank, the kelp tank, and the jellyfish exhibits are amazing and world-class. Definitely worth the entry fee.

The more local stuff was disappointing, and it is seriously lacking as an educational experience. It's strange in the sense that it's overall average by being amazing in some things and very poor in others. That said, I thoroughly enjoyed my visit, and strongly encourage people to check it out. Touching one of those giant rays was a treat, and the rays themselves were clearly enjoying the attention.

Where could they expand? Isn't the building hemmed in by the CN Tower, train tacks, Metro Convention Centre and Bremner Blvd.?

I've only been to a couple of aquariums in the States--Shedd in Chicago and Audubon in New Orleans--and I'm expecting Ripley's to be more like the latter (but better). Would love if they could expand someday, but I don't see where.

long line-ups indeed
DSCN1992_zps5665ba8e.jpg

When I walked past it on the way to the MTCC the line went all the way around the side of the building to the Convention Centre.

Ultimately a successful opening weekend, I'd say.

Where could they expand? Isn't the building hemmed in by the CN Tower, train tacks, Metro Convention Centre and Bremner Blvd.?

I've only been to a couple of aquariums in the States--Shedd in Chicago and Audubon in New Orleans--and I'm expecting Ripley's to be more like the latter (but better). Would love if they could expand someday, but I don't see where.

I think I read it somewhere here: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...igorates-torontos-south-core/article14971410/

Significantly, Ripley’s has left itself room to grow. The north wall of the building is temporary, and zoning applications show that the building is just Phase 1 of the original design plan, with Phase 2 likely to swallow up the SkyWalk to Union Station, forcing it to run through the aquarium or around the north end.

There was an article on UT that said this would not happen ! I recall it mentioned Ripley’s changed its mind and just built the full version (or whatever they considered the full version) and there are no expansion plans ?

There was an article on UT that said this would not happen ! I recall it mentioned Ripley’s changed its mind and just built the full version (or whatever they considered the full version) and there are no expansion plans ?

I remember reading that too...

I hope it expands though

I think Ripley's started off with a plan to build a 100,000 square foot aquarium for phase one, then add another 50,000 feet for phase 2. That was later changed to making just one phase at 135,000 sf. So there is no plans for another expansion. In the end, it's about 15,000 sf smaller than it would have been after it's 2 phases.

Back