News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

I lived in Montreal all through the 1990's and I think it's a great place to live. (even when it was going through tough economic and political times) I found it to be a very easy place to live and quite enjoyable too. I didn't want to leave.

Oh, this is so stupid, it drives me nuts.

First, HuffPo isn't the world's best or most reputable website. It gets a pass because it's liberal and we like that kind of thing around here. But its bread and butter is repurposed content and stuff from unpaid bloggers hoping for a shot at exposure and traffic. My understanding is that it's a content mill that just churns out... stuff, hoping it will stick.

Even by the standards Toronto's unbecoming fascination with its own press clippings, this is a new low. The thing is, HuffPo isn't an editorial operation like Conde Nast or a newspaper, whereby editors get together and hem and haw over who gets their approbation and coverage.

This is one person - probably (though I don't know for sure) not a paid writer, but a content-mill-churner - deciding to write a hackish blog post so mediocre it uses canned phrases like "Capital of cool." We've got it backwards here: That phrase doesn't indicate high praise; it indicates that we shouldn't be paying too much attention to the speaker.

So if we're going to run a headline (like CP24 did, urgh) about this, it shouldn't be "Top US Site Names Toronto "Capital of Cool"; it should be "Some Blogger Likes Us. Let's All Freak Out!"

Oh, this is so stupid, it drives me nuts.

So if we're going to run a headline (like CP24 did, urgh) about this, it shouldn't be "Top US Site Names Toronto "Capital of Cool"; it should be "Some Blogger Likes Us. Let's All Freak Out!"

I agree. This and the reaction to the Niagara tourism spot sort of show us to be anything but cool... er desperate and needy really.

If Toronto spent less time wishing/caring it were like somewhere else and more time enjoying being Toronto it may start to offer something truly cool to others elsewhere.

I agree. This and the reaction to the Niagara tourism spot sort of show us to be anything but cool... er desperate and needy really.

If Toronto spent less time wishing/caring it were like somewhere else and more time enjoying being Toronto it may start to offer something truly cool to others elsewhere.

The vast majority of people in Toronto couldn't give a flying f&%$# about whether this city is cool or not, or whether anybody, anywhere worries about it. Do people who post on sites like this really think they speak to any objective reality at all ? To all the chronically self- conscious out there : we may have way too much time on our hands.

The HuffPuff piece is nice. But it's just some blogger trying to be on top of the next big thing. These "it" city designations rarely last (ask Seattle, Montreal, Portland, even London -albeit London's 90s designation was courtesy of its own magazine/journal editors) and thank God, all they do is attract pretentious twits.

Back