Most new NFL stadiums range from 68,000 in the Colts and 49ers news stadiums to 82,000 for the New York Giants and Jets stadium. I think a good size for Toronto would be 70,000 to 73,000. Can't remember where I read it, but if you get rid of the hotel (buy out current owners) you can add 8,000 to 10,000 and if you dig down a couple of levels you can add another 10,000 seats.

Where did you read that? I understood that the hotel and the support structure for the roof are integrally linked.

Last edited:
Where did you read that? I understood that the hotel and the support structure for the roof are integrally linked.

Looking at the pic below, it seems that the hotel has the same bones as the rest of the dome. I believe most of the hotel is simply an addition to the dome, as it looks like it was built with steel in some of the early construction photos, wheras the dome itself is all concrete.

The dome opens up around the hotel, as the rails are along the concrete structure that extend out from both sides of the dome:

201558-Large-exterior-under-the-retracted-roof.jpg

- Source: Emporis

It also appears that most of the hotel is built away from the dome itself when looking at Streetview:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.6425...4!1s5XVX1QoL5WwaEsSMZr7fcA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.6425...4!1s5XVX1QoL5WwaEsSMZr7fcA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

image.jpg

- Source: EllisDon

skydome3.jpg

- http://www.torontozenith.com/project_gallery.htm

Last edited:
Looking at the pic below, it seems that the hotel has the same bones as the rest of the dome. I believe most of the hotel is simply an addition to the dome, as it looks like it was built with steel in some of the early construction photos, wheras the dome itself is all concrete.

The dome opens up around the hotel, as the rails are along the concrete structure that extend out from both sides of the dome:

201558-Large-exterior-under-the-retracted-roof.jpg

- Source: Emporis

It also appears that most of the hotel is built away from the dome itself when looking at Streetview:

- Source: EllisDon

- http://www.torontozenith.com/project_gallery.htm
http://www.torontozenith.com/project_gallery.htm

While it does look like the hotel is structurally separate from the stadium, and yes the hotel was a bolt on addition midway through construction if memory serves. A good portion of it is still connected to and shares structural elements with the stadium. The stationary panel in the roof sits above a portion of the hotel. So yes I'm going to say that the hotel is part of rather than near Rogers Centre.

There would be revenue coming in from the hotel even if the Rogers Centre/SkyDome is not in use.

Keep the hotel. It's one of the nicest elements of the stadium and its better looking façade. There is already too much seating and you guys want to add more?

If anything, I'd love to see the hotel expanded by decking over the rail corridor and building a north tower to make it a complex. A concave building to "hug" the convex Renaissance Hotel with a park in the middle over the rail corridor.

I know that I'm just dreaming but at some point, the rail corridor will get decked over because with dwindling lots to build on and skyrocketing air rights value, they won't be able to afford not to.

Looking at that old photo of Skydome under construction and seeing all the massive amounts of steel used for the dome and without any cladding on it made me think of how it may look if it were redesigned with a translucent or clear cladding and to me it looks like the steel would look too busy and distracting to the spectators and even more distracting to the ball player when trying to catch pop ups and fly balls. Not sure if that idea would work.

Looking at that old photo of Skydome under construction and seeing all the massive amounts of steel used for the dome and without any cladding on it made me think of how it may look if it were redesigned with a translucent or clear cladding and to me it looks like the steel would look too busy and distracting to the spectators and even more distracting to the ball player when trying to catch pop ups and fly balls. Not sure if that idea would work.

I'm sure opaque paneling would be considered and highly preferred as to mitigate any potential glare for the players. Allowing some form of daylight to pass through the roof may become a necessity anyways especially considering the goal of installing natural grass for 2018.

Keep the hotel. It's one of the nicest elements of the stadium and its better looking façade. There is already too much seating and you guys want to add more?

If anything, I'd love to see the hotel expanded by decking over the rail corridor and building a north tower to make it a complex. A concave building to "hug" the convex Renaissance Hotel with a park in the middle over the rail corridor.

I know that I'm just dreaming but at some point, the rail corridor will get decked over because with dwindling lots to build on and skyrocketing air rights value, they won't be able to afford not to.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.6424...4!1sKeu0NhelWZMqOcefQGtrLw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

It's like they started to build a park...then decided it needed more concrete, then ran out of money to build it the 80 more meters to connect up...

I wonder what the story of that little park is...and why it hasn't been expanded...

For the city this would be a great green space win....0.6 extra acres in downtown...and maybe design it in such a way that it can easily be removed if needed when major work is happening below...a further expansion to the west to spadina would allow for maybe 2 full sports fields.

Expanding that part to connect with the bridge at the south end of John St would be great.

Expanding that part to connect with the bridge at the south end of John St would be great.
They do connect. There is a walkway along the North end, however it is extremely narrow (I'd estimate not more than 40 ft wide) and claustrophobic feeling. What most of us would like to see it the North area expanded through decking over the railway tracks.

Really?? We happen to be blessed with one of the few stadiums in the world with a retractable roof and you want to "open it up"??

Why are people always wanting to copy what the Americans do simply because the Americans do it? We have a great stadium - one of the best in the world. It's not perfect, but then which one is. The Yankees and Blue Jays recently had a game shifted to a double header in New York because the game was rained out. Then on Saturday, the players and fans had to sit in the rain to watch the games and endure a half hour rain delay while everyone at the stadium was soaked in heavy rain. You want that? We live in Canada where cold weather rules. Whining about not having a stadium like many of the new open air stadiums south of us is so ridiculous yet so typical of people who never have enough. I would bet that most, if not all of those open air stadiums would have a retractable roof if the city/state or club could afford it. Revel in the fact that we can comfortable enjoy the stadium year round - open on great summer days and closed, warm and dry on cold rainy or snowy days.

"Remove the hotel" so we can see outside - how old are you?

Amazing how quickly some people resort to insults.

In no way did I suggest we get rid of the retractable roof. Not sure where you read that in my comment. I was suggesting renovating the outfield to add windows like in Miami and Milwaukee (as Translude 15 showed). Fair comments that there wouldn't be much to look at, I was more interested in lessening the imposing look of the current Rogers Centre outfield, than thinking of what the view might be.

Also, A) what on Earth does this have to do with wanting to do what Americans do? And B) Rogers Centre is fine. But, I don't think anyone has considered it one of the 'best stadiums in the world' in 20 years.

Personally, I find the hotel imposing (from the perspective of inside the stadium). Most ballparks leave their outfield sparse and open, and I think that's a preferable aesthetic to what we have. I wasn't suggesting replacing the hotel with seats. I was throwing out the idea of removing it (if that was ever feasible) to create a more open or attractive space.

Regardless, I'm sure it's all moot anyway.

Back