How about turning some of the concrete exterior into living walls (the ramp walls along the facade, for instance). It would also be nice to see all the exterior glass replaced with curtain wall glazing.

Something else that comes to mind is that they have an opportunity to create a space as vibrant and successful for the Blue Jays as Maple Leaf Square has become for the Leafs and Raptors. The plaza to the west could handle a good sized crowd. Adding a large screen and appropriate landscaping could create a great space for gathering crowds to watch the game.

rRTtop0.jpg

Great idea! This area is already used for events such as fan fest and the Friday at the ball park stuff. So a few tweaks here and there would turn it into a Maple Leaf Square type area.

Actually, the space on the right (loading dock) is a TCHC property and was supposed to become mixed income housing. The project is on hold as TCHC doesn't have the money to build it.

There was a proposal to have seniors housing on that site awhile ago, and it was opposed by the operator and some area residents I believe. I don't think the argument of noise being the issue has disappeared since then.

I like that they specified "diffused light". Rather than completely transparent, it could be a frosted white. It would still allow light to get in but the SkyDome would retain its iconic white dome as seen from the outside.

ETFE can be translucent - see Eden Project and Watercube. Presumably you can have both transparent and translucent ETFE - say, the fordome facing the lake and the rail corridor can be translucent, and the 2 centre pieces can be transparent.

AoD

There was a proposal to have seniors housing on that site awhile ago, and it was opposed by the operator and some area residents I believe. I don't think the argument of noise being the issue has disappeared since then.

It was transferred to TCHC back in 2007 and was to become another mixed income building like Block 31 and 32. It is referred to as Block 18AB.

It never saw the light of day because the city never received federal grants which were required to build the project. Last year, this block along with Block 32, was transferred back to the city. It never got far enough to determine whether it would be a seniors residence. Its likely use would've been to meet the minimum number of affordable rental units that TCHC had agreed to build within the railway lands.

The block North of Library district condos is suffering the same fate. It was reliant on a Federal grant which is unlikely to come in any time soon.

That's actually good news though. Block 18AB is owned by the city right now. It would be great to see it go commercial instead of residential, as the area closer to CityPlace would benefit immensely from having an office building nearby.

It was transferred to TCHC back in 2007 and was to become another mixed income building like Block 31 and 32. It is referred to as Block 18AB.

It never saw the light of day because the city never received federal grants which were required to build the project. Last year, this block along with Block 32, was transferred back to the city. It never got far enough to determine whether it would be a seniors residence. Its likely use would've been to meet the minimum number of affordable rental units that TCHC had agreed to build within the railway lands.

The block North of Library district condos is suffering the same fate. It was reliant on a Federal grant which is unlikely to come in any time soon.

That's actually good news though. Block 18AB is owned by the city right now. It would be great to see it go commercial instead of residential, as the area closer to CityPlace would benefit immensely from having an office building nearby.

Actually I am talking about the case in the early 2000s - the funding was lined up but the proposal was shot down when Godfrey and Sportsco (then owner of the SkyDome) went to the OMB. The excuse being thrown out by the opponents at the time was that the site was unsuitable for residential use of *any* kind.

AoD

Last edited:
Actually I am talking about the case in the early 2000s - the funding was lined up but the proposal was shot down when Godfrey and Sportsco (then owner of the SkyDome) went to the OMB.

AoD

I'm referring to the most recent plans for the block. That project is longggggg gone.

Regardless, I'm glad it didn't go forward. I'd rather see this block go commercial.

So these are zoned for high rises? I thought the view of the SkyDome from the lake was protected hence the property north of HTO Park being zoned for parkland.

ETFE can be translucent - see Eden Project and Watercube. Presumably you can have both transparent and translucent ETFE - say, the fordome facing the lake and the rail corridor can be translucent, and the 2 centre pieces can be transparent.

AoD

The Northern Lights display around the rim of BC Place is also ETFE. So in theory, the new roof can be lit up as well.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/12/27/vancouver-contact-festival-video_n_4510192.html

Ellis Don has some of the construction photos up .. one of them shows the roof:

01542e80-180d-4e91-9b04-c4f17554c99e

They would have to expose it down to the lattice.. removing multiple layers to get translucent. And with all the steel in the way - you wonder just how effective it would be.

Ellis Don has some of the construction photos up .. one of them shows the roof:

They would have to expose it down to the lattice.. removing multiple layers to get translucent. And with all the steel in the way - you wonder just how effective it would be.

Personally I think it would be quite effective vs. internal lighting - and it'd look spectacular from the outside (especially at night, with the glow of the field and the silhouette of the steel structure). It'd pretty iconic.

AoD

There's definitely a lot of potential to tastefully enhance our iconic stadium without having to reclad it or make other changes that would alter its unique character.

Seniors making too much noise? Or making trouble for others? Guess this video is the evidence that supports that allegation.

Sounds like they are working on having a public viewing area for the playoffs (similar to Maple Leaf Square). Should also note that fans are allowed to watch the game inside the dome during away playoff games. I think it's a donation to Jays Care foundation to get in.

Back