I don't know if the city of Tampa even deserves a team, the fans who come out to the games are great but overall there doesn't seem like much interest in the team at all for as long as I can remember. Florida seems to have bad fan support in a lot of differnet sports but teams never leave there. If these teams were in Canada getting that attendance they'd be gone long ago. That's probably also due to the cost of running a large sports franchise up here versus the U.S.
Baseball is extremely popular in Florida. However, most baseball fans in Florida are retirees who cheer for their childhood teams (the Rays and the Marlins didn't exist even during the time the current retirees were last employed and it's very difficult (even steadfastly impossible in some cases) to convince them to cheer for the Rays or the Marlins when they grew up being fans of teams such as the Yankees or the Red Sox (or even the Jays to some degree)).

Would such a roof be possible for the Rogers Centre?
"In addition to roof modernization, the team also investigated how the roof would affect the field if the Blue Jays were to replace the current artificial turf with real grass. We provided performance modeling to simulate light conditions that would affect grass growth and determine if the current roof material should be replaced with ETFE or similar translucent materials."
http://www.walterpmoore.com/projects/rogers-centre-roof-study

"Next up for the Rogers Centre is replacement of the outer membrane of the roof, which could occur within the next four or five years." - 2017
http://www.ellisdon.com/news/raising-the-roof-torontos-rogers-centre-remains-a-marvel/

Fascinating article by Shi Davidi speculating that Rogers is trying to gain control of land around the stadium for the renos, possibly even contributing to the Rail Deck Park.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/will-blue-jays-follow-recent-mlb-trends-stadium-renovations/

Great catch! With Rogers getting into the development business in Mississauga, I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to get some condos in over the USRC (Union Station Rail Corridor) east of the Rail Deck Park project as part of their larger vision, and a condition of them investing in the RDP.

Fascinating article by Shi Davidi speculating that Rogers is trying to gain control of land around the stadium for the renos, possibly even contributing to the Rail Deck Park.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/will-blue-jays-follow-recent-mlb-trends-stadium-renovations/

Honestly, they would be better off relocating the team for a year or two and rebuilding the rogers centre. Implode the thing, rebuild and voila.

You can renovate it all you want but it is 1980s infrastructure. It was designed to serve a purpose and not to stand the test of time like Wrigley Field or Fenway Park. No amount of renovations will prevent it from ending up like Maple Leaf Gardens did at the end of its useful life.

Honestly, they would be better off relocating the team for a year or two and rebuilding the rogers centre. Implode the thing, rebuild and voila.

You can renovate it all you want but it is 1980s infrastructure. It was designed to serve a purpose and not to stand the test of time like Wrigley Field or Fenway Park. No amount of renovations will prevent it from ending up like Maple Leaf Gardens did at the end of its useful life.

I don't think that can happen under Rogers ownership though. They aren't the type of company with that type of vision.

The Skydome is a big part of Toronto's identity if you ask me. It's also a hugely expensive stadium that private financing simply couldn't replace. I don't expect it to go anywhere any time soon.

The Skydome is a big part of Toronto's identity if you ask me. It's also a hugely expensive stadium that private financing simply couldn't replace. I don't expect it to go anywhere any time soon.

Eventually it will need to be replaced however and it is better to do so now than when it is boxed in by more condos and the only place to temporarily relocate the team is Downsview Park.

Would you rather a return to Exhibition Place.... haha.
LOL

Even Exhibition place has very little room.

I honestly think the Jay's are stuck and throw out these trial balloons every few years (like grass) to make fans think they are serious about the stadium situation. But in the end they have no interest in spending any real money

I know they have a view corridor from the lake to the skydome that isn't allowed to be disturbed. i.e. built to be blocked. So with that in place, I don't think the stadium is going anywhere. As for if they can complete renovations while the team stays in the building, that is a billion dollar question.

Back