Did anybody even notice the turf? The way it resembles natural grass by having it striped like that.

Did anybody even notice the turf? The way it resembles natural grass by having it striped like that.
Yup, that's the turf that was installed before the 2021 season. Photo from last October:
20211002_150933.jpg

ahhhh...I wasn't the one that actually noticed it. A friend did and mentioned it to me so that's why I thought it was new. I knew I was have noticed it if was new this year.

It's the same turf installed in Arizona for the Diamondbacks and later the new dome in Arlington for the Rangers- both venues that similarly have problems maintaining natural grass.

I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with the lower bowl- I imagine this will keep the Jays at the dome until the late 2030's.

ahhhh...I wasn't the one that actually noticed it. A friend did and mentioned it to me so that's why I thought it was new. I knew I was have noticed it if was new this year.
it was new turf as of last season.

Last edited:
it will be significantly bigger for actual video use. All the stats / data that used to surround the video feed will now be used on those four 'wings' creating much larger space for actual video
Maybe they can show raptor and lead highlights during the intermissions while they are in the playoffs. I have no idea why they refuse to acknowledge the other sports teams when you’re at a game. It’s craziness especially since they’re in the playoffs.

Not to mention, the middle part doesn't look any bigger or different then the old jumbotron. Waste of money.

I don't think they were trying to replace the old jumbotron. They've just widened it for when they're doing video presentations. When you're watching the game, only the center will be showing the play on the field, the sides will be for scoreboard, players stats, and scores from around the league. I imagine the top screens won't be illuminated during the game, only when acting as a single screen when combined with the other screens.

I used to really yearn for natural grass at the dome, but honestly the quality of fake turf has improved so much in the last 10 years (never mind since the early 90s) that I really don't think it's an issue anymore. You can really barely tell it's not real grass at this point. The new larger dirt infield helps a lot aesthetically too imo.

I used to really yearn for natural grass at the dome, but honestly the quality of fake turf has improved so much in the last 10 years (never mind since the early 90s) that I really don't think it's an issue anymore. You can really barely tell it's not real grass at this point. The new larger dirt infield helps a lot aesthetically too imo.

Was the issue truly ever with the fans opinion though? Wasn't the primary complaint the increase in injuries for players due to the rougher and harder surface?

Reactions: max
Was the issue truly ever with the fans opinion though? Wasn't the primary complaint the increase in injuries for players due to the rougher and harder surface?
You would hear that from time to time, especially when the turf was really bad. But I really think it's been more of an aesthetic complaint overall. At least that's my impression.

In fairness, most of us haven't been in the stadium since...2019, I guess?

Anyway, it's clear the fake turf looks a lot better than the old astrotruf and it seems to be better for playing on. That said, we're still one of only 2 stadiums that use it (and The Trop is an all-time dumpster fire of a facility) and clearly players prefer grass so as better as it is, it's not grass.

As for the new jumbotron, it kinda feels like they just updated it? The image posted by Hazel Mae does look kinda wonky but it makes more sense when you look at the turf image above and realize it's really just replacing those pixel boards on either side. As long as they're using it that way, and not showing a single image (the way it is in that first image) I'm sure it'll be a nice enough improvement.

The original turf looked pretty bad. It really looked like they were playing on a carpet.

The story has been updated to confirm that they aren't considering a memberane change. Which makes sense, because the fabric was recently replaced and has a very different structure vs ETFE panels.

Now what would be interesting is an LED lighting system on the roof that could project different lighting and weather effects.

Back