Some frankly insane predictions in this thread. The idea that the Rogers Centre is going to be used by the Jays for another 40 years is absurd. So it's going to reach 76 years? I get people love this stadium, but come on, you have to be trolling.

I don't doubt the renovations will buy Rogers some time. Maybe 10-15 years. But everything Mark Shapiro has been saying suggests this is still being seen as a temporary fix. Even as enthusiastic as he is, he's been fairly consistent on this for the past few months.

Some frankly insane predictions in this thread. The idea that the Rogers Centre is going to be used by the Jays for another 40 years is absurd. So it's going to reach 76 years? I get people love this stadium, but come on, you have to be trolling.

I don't doubt the renovations will buy Rogers some time. Maybe 10-15 years. But everything Mark Shapiro has been saying suggests this is still being seen as a temporary fix. Even as enthusiastic as he is, he's been fairly consistent on this for the past few months.
Yes totally. Shapiro has been really clear that this reno should buy the dome another 10 to 15 years, at which point either a new stadium is built or the Skydome gets massively renovated.

Yes totally. Shapiro has been really clear that this reno should buy the dome another 10 to 15 years, at which point either a new stadium is built or the Skydome gets massively renovated.
With the way Jays have been performing poorly in the playoffs in recent years, I highly doubt Shapiro will not get a contract extension once his contract runs out in 2026. Don't see why they would give him another 5 years if he hasn't shown any substancial on field results.

Once he is gone, there goes plans for a new stadium.

Imagine the real estate market in 15 years. You think the government will allow Rogers to demolish Rogers Centre and then build a shit load of condos / office towers and make $$$? With every year passing Rogers would have less and less leverage on the government who owns the lands. The current lease ends in 2088 (65 years to go). If you knock off another 15-20 years while Rogers decides what they want to do that will only give the government more leverage to hang on until the lease just ends.

Time will tell.

Last edited:
Realistically, 2022-2040 we'll have the following:
  • baseball specific Skydome
  • multi- purpose arena for basketball and hockey
  • an expanded BMO for football and soccer
With Rogers Centre becoming more baseball centric, and the World Cup approaching in 2026, I'm really surprised there's been no talk of a new multi purpose stadium that could seat in the 60,000 + range and host large events, international soccer, and possibly be used as a lure for the NFL. When these renos are done, Rogers Centre really won't be 'multi purpose' in the way it used to be.

With the way Jays have been performing poorly in the playoffs in recent years, I highly doubt Shapiro will not get a contract extension once his contract runs out in 2026. Don't see why they would give him another 5 years if he hasn't shown any substancial on field results.
Jeff Blair was saying this week that one of the most impressive things about Shapiro's tenure is the way he's managed to navigate the Blue Jays ownership in a way that Paul Beeston never could. It's hard to argue. Rogers used to be really tight with spending on the club. Now they have the 5th highest payroll in MLB, a new player development complex, and a 300 million stadium renovation. And all just after the Covid years.

I know a lot of fans don't like Shapiro, and that's fine, but I think he's put the Jays in really good shape off the field. (And they're pretty good on the field too).

Jeff Blair was saying this week that one of the most impressive things about Shapiro's tenure is the way he's managed to navigate the Blue Jays ownership in a way that Paul Beeston never could. It's hard to argue. Rogers used to be really tight with spending on the club. Now they have the 5th highest payroll in MLB, a new player development complex, and a 300 million stadium renovation. And all just after the Covid years.

I know a lot of fans don't like Shapiro, and that's fine, but I think he's put the Jays in really good shape off the field. (And they're pretty good on the field too).
Hes done a great job especially increasing the payroll, IMO the Blue Jays payroll should be higher. Right at the luxury tax cut off which is around 235 Mil this season and I believe the Jays are at 200 mil.

In any case even if he has done a great jobs, it doesn't mean anything if we don't start seeing playoff series wins. Without this, his contract will not be renewed in 2026.

These reno's are simply lipstick on a pig. I don't think Shapiro is done at all with trying to convince Rogers to build a new stadium. It's been one of his biggest objectives since he got here, so I don't see why he would throw in the towel on it now.

Hes done a great job especially increasing the payroll, IMO the Blue Jays payroll should be higher. Right at the luxury tax cut off which is around 235 Mil this season and I believe the Jays are at 200 mil.

In any case even if he has done a great jobs, it doesn't mean anything if we don't start seeing playoff series wins. Without this, his contract will not be renewed in 2026.
last year was the first real time in the playoffs with this team. they fell completely flat for sure but we have 3 more years before his extension. you're getting ahead of yourself

With Rogers Centre becoming more baseball centric, and the World Cup approaching in 2026, I'm really surprised there's been no talk of a new multi purpose stadium that could seat in the 60,000 + range and host large events, international soccer, and possibly be used as a lure for the NFL. When these renos are done, Rogers Centre really won't be 'multi purpose' in the way it used to be.

multipurpose stadiums are awful. their only benefit is they can hold a multitude of events and provide an acceptable experience. i'd rather a single purpose stadium that provides an exceptional experience. that being said, i wouldn't be surprised if they build out bmo the way they have been to cover off larger events. As for the NFL, i don't think it'll ever happen. The franchise costs are astronomical and the ownership structure prohibits it even further. I don't know the full details about it but a single owner needs to hold a certain % of ownership, then you need approval from all the other owners or the majority of them (which won't happen). a lot of people talk about NFL in Toronto but i think it's a pie in the sky dream.

last year was the first real time in the playoffs with this team. they fell completely flat for sure but we have 3 more years before his extension. you're getting ahead of yourself
That, and considering their friend's playoff performances down Bremner, Shanahan still has a job. It will take a few more playoff losses before Shapiro's job is threatened. And while Shapiro is higher ranked and might make final calls on some player contracts/trades, Atkins is more responsible for the on-field performance.

A 60k stadium would be a massive white elephant. There’s no economics for an NFL team, and most musicians prefer arena tours with multiple nights vs stadiums these days. In most sports the trend is smaller stadiums to match declining attendance. And as for attracting mega-events like the World Cup, those are one-off machines for sending massive sums of public money to private interests.

A stadium needs 150-200 events per year to break even and we don’t get that out of the SkyDome today. We want another one?

If someone wants to build a $2B football stadium at Woodbine they can knock their socks off, but there’d better be exactly $0 of public money involved.

not only will we see a new baseball only stadium under 20 years, we will also see a new Toronto arena as well at a new location since most new arenas are much bigger then Scotiabank footprint, arenas around the age of Scotiabank are being replaced or they have plans to do so in place already

not only will we see a new baseball only stadium under 20 years, we will also see a new Toronto arena as well at a new location since most new arenas are much bigger then Scotiabank footprint, arenas around the age of Scotiabank are being replaced or they have plans to do so in place already
Tell that to MSG

MLSE is doing a good job of regular refits and upgrades. Much more likely to see that continue vs a tear down and rebuild.

Would not be surprised if they did an interior gut job to add more seating tiers and flexible options like a loge level. Maybe even dig the rink lower or expand their footprint into the Jurassic Park space. But a replacement seems unlikely given the prime location and space constraints.

Back