This from a Toronto Star article from early 2022 “There’s a sports facility arms race heating up, said Leiweke, who predicted Steve Ballmer, the richest owner in the NBA, is going to “set a whole new level” with the $2 billion he’s spending on a new arena for his L.A. Clippers. Which means that even extensive upgrades in Toronto might not be enough. Within the next 10 years, Leiweke said, the need for new venues will be inevitable.”

This from a Toronto Star article from early 2022 “There’s a sports facility arms race heating up, said Leiweke, who predicted Steve Ballmer, the richest owner in the NBA, is going to “set a whole new level” with the $2 billion he’s spending on a new arena for his L.A. Clippers. Which means that even extensive upgrades in Toronto might not be enough. Within the next 10 years, Leiweke said, the need for new venues will be inevitable.”
The dude own an arena development company. What else is he going to say?

Scotiabank arena isn't going anywhere. that location is unbeatable. that one is staying forever like MSG

The same MSG that's in it's 4th different location on the island of Manhattan?

The same MSG that's in it's 4th different location on the island of Manhattan?
NYC is OLD..... But yes the same MSG from 1968 when there was a good amount of land available.

IF MSG ever moves it's because they lease the land... That said they spent over a billion renovating it recently.

Last edited:
These reno's are simply lipstick on a pig. I don't think Shapiro is done at all with trying to convince Rogers to build a new stadium. It's been one of his biggest objectives since he got here, so I don't see why he would throw in the towel on it now.

Come on, I don't get people calling these renos "lipstick" on a pig". We are getting massive, substantial changes to the stadium. Lipstick on a pig would be if we just got new lights, and maybe a new turf.

Scotiabank arena isn't going anywhere. that location is unbeatable. that one is staying forever like MSG

Totally agree, location of SkyDome and SBA are top notch. While I hear people moan about Rogers Centre all the time, what's the general opinion on SBA for the Leafs and Raptors? It seems like a perfectly serviceable arena that's still competitive in their respective leagues.

MLSE is doing a good job of regular refits and upgrades. Much more likely to see that continue vs a tear down and rebuild.

Would not be surprised if they did an interior gut job to add more seating tiers and flexible options like a loge level. Maybe even dig the rink lower or expand their footprint into the Jurassic Park space. But a replacement seems unlikely given the prime location and space constraints.

What they really need to do is pedesternize the entire section outside of Scotiabank Arena and create a street scape similar to Freemont Street Experience in Las Vegas.

That will give people who stand outside in Jurassic Park some cover from the elements and allow the areas around to be filled with restaurants and pubs and patios as right now they are office lobbies, parking lot entrances, etc....

The Location for Scotiabank Arena is prime. They will probably gut the entire arena and rebuild it and probably remove the MLSE office from there. Leafs and Ratpors could play in a temporary arena somewhere in GTA while it's re-built. I do think the GTA does need a second Arena at the same size as Scotiabank. New York City Metro area has 3....MSG, UBS Arena, Barclays. I think Toronto can have two.

MLSE is doing a good job of regular refits and upgrades. Much more likely to see that continue vs a tear down and rebuild.

Would not be surprised if they did an interior gut job to add more seating tiers and flexible options like a loge level. Maybe even dig the rink lower or expand their footprint into the Jurassic Park space. But a replacement seems unlikely given the prime location and space constraints.
The arena is not going anywhere. I'd second what you mentioned - MLSE has regularly invested millions into Scotiabank Arena where it still feels "new", or at the very least, has a lot of new features.

Other arenas like The Bell Centre in Montreal and Keybank Center in Buffalo opened just three years before Scotiabank, and haven't had anywhere near the investments MLSE put in. Buffalo is already looking outdated and tired when you visit and walk through the concourses.

I have a difficult time buying the notion that it will be "inevitable" to get a new arena.

Come on, I don't get people calling these renos "lipstick" on a pig". We are getting massive, substantial changes to the stadium. Lipstick on a pig would be if we just got new lights, and maybe a new turf.

And the end of the day, it's still a concrete bunker that will be ranked one of the worst stadiums in baseball.

Totally agree, location of SkyDome and SBA are top notch. While I hear people moan about Rogers Centre all the time, what's the general opinion on SBA for the Leafs and Raptors? It seems like a perfectly serviceable arena that's still competitive in their respective leagues.
I’ve been to NHL games in Vancouver, Edmonton, Montreal and Toronto. MTL arena is huge, VCR is not updated and showing its age. Edmonton is the newest and it shows - big open concourses, nice suites, a loge level, some natural light in from the side, steep seating on multiple tiers to keep you close to the ice.

The Location for Scotiabank Arena is prime. They will probably gut the entire arena and rebuild it and probably remove the MLSE office from there. Leafs and Ratpors could play in a temporary arena somewhere in GTA while it's re-built. I do think the GTA does need a second Arena at the same size as Scotiabank. New York City Metro area has 3....MSG, UBS Arena, Barclays. I think Toronto can have two.
A revamped Copps will help in Hamilton, and Paramount in Mississauga isn’t bad. But agree that we could easily support a 15k stadium in say Vaughan for concerts and events.

Back