You can see different angles of the 100 level in some renderings from last year. These are obviously just renderings but the new 100 level is guaranteed to have a traditional, diamond facing orientation. They'll likely ensure the seating bowl and actual seats are completed before Opening Day 2024 and whatever suite work is incomplete, will be done behind the scenes.
1674244113863.png
1674244095131.png

1674244145722.png

I think these two images really show how much of a change we can expect in the lower bowl.

EDIT: Translude15 and I posted at the same time :) But you get the idea...

Yeah, and while I'm sure that's not the actual design, it definitely gives you an idea of the direction (note the darker blue seats, as on 500 level, for instance).
I mean, just look at all the wasted space under the Pizza Nova sign right now!

You can see little snippets in other images too (though, again, I'm sure this is not a final design): Just a totally different built form and slope... You can really see the improved intimacy on the second image below.

1674244289641.png
1674244348752.png

EDIT: Translude15 and I posted at the same time :) But you get the idea...

Yeah, and while I'm sure that's not the actual design, it definitely gives you an idea of the direction (note the darker blue seats, as on 500 level, for instance).
I mean, just look at all the wasted space under the Pizza Nova sign right now!

You can see little snippets in other images too (though, again, I'm sure this is not a final design): Just a totally different built form and slope... You can really see the improved intimacy on the second image below.

View attachment 451534View attachment 451535

What makes you so sure it's not the final design?

Will the sound system be improved? I find concerts sound quality is terrible.
Was at the lady gaga concert in the summer with the dome closed and It was brutal on the floor.

Highly unlikely. With amount of concrete and the convex nature nature of the roof the sound quality is not different than a concrete bunker.

There is no way you will get opera house quality sound in a concrete bunker.
Another thing to note is that concerts bring all of their sound equipment and don't use the venue's equipment. It's very hard in any large stadium open air or enclosed to get really good sound unless you bring in lots of speakers to repeat the sound to all areas of the audience. Very few bands or artists tour with something like that.

Scotiabank Arena will probably get re-built in about 20 years time. When the naming rights expire in 2038. The footprint area is small but with clever engineering, they can make a bigger arena with the same footprint...maybe dig deeper or something similar to how the Chicago Cubs re-built Wrigley Field.
They will need to be able to add at least 450,000 sq to Scotiabank to get within the size of other arenas and I don’t know if they can do that at the current location and yes they do need to keep up with other arenas for many reasons

They will need to be able to add at least 450,000 sq to Scotiabank to get within the size of other arenas and I don’t know if they can do that at the current location and yes they do need to keep up with other arenas for many reasons
I have yet to hear your reasons. As long as they are charging top dollar for leaf tickets and are sold out game after game I am confused about your reasons. The raptors aren’t exactly cheap either in fact the raptor 905 tickets are often more expensive than many cities nba tickets. So you keep saying need but I’m pretty sure just like the people who say the jays need an open air stadium that these are your wants not the franchises needs.

I have yet to hear your reasons. As long as they are charging top dollar for leaf tickets and are sold out game after game I am confused about your reasons. The raptors aren’t exactly cheap either in fact the raptor 905 tickets are often more expensive than many cities nba tickets. So you keep saying need but I’m pretty sure just like the people who say the jays need an open air stadium that these are your wants not the franchises needs.
With the aftermarket sales for game tickets running at considerable % over face value, it could be argued that (incredibly enough) the Leafs do not charge enough. They do not need another arena, they need another hockey franchise.

With the aftermarket sales for game tickets running at considerable % over face value, it could be argued that (incredibly enough) the Leafs do not charge enough. They do not need another arena, they need another hockey franchise.
I think fans aren’t going to buy tickets next year as they hear how hip the new arenas in La and GS are.

Last edited:
Fences are coming in closer but I can’t recall how much higher they will be?

For the mathematician geniuses out there, for every foot of height increase on the wall what does that equate to in distance a ball must fly to be a home run??
Home run launch angle is 25-30 degrees. Assuming a parabolic flight, the ball should be traveling at the same angle when it lands (ETA - it's probably steeper due to air resistance).

At 30 degrees the H:W ratio of a right angle triangle is 1:1.7, while at 25 degrees it’s 1:2.1.

So a rough estimate would be 1.5-2 feet of distance for every additional foot of fence height.

Of course there are other factors like the ability to play off the wall vs an opportunity to catch.

Last edited:
Home run launch angle is 25-30 degrees. Assuming a parabolic flight, the ball should be traveling at the same angle when it lands.

At 30 degrees the H:W ratio of a right angle triangle is 1:1.7, while at 25 degrees it’s 1:2.1.

So a rough estimate would be 2 feet of distance for every additional foot of fence height.

Of course there are other factors like the ability to play off the wall vs an opportunity to catch.

Yeah, it's weird all the posts I've seen talking about how much more hitter-friendly the ballpark is going to be, ignoring the extra height of the fences.
The team may turn out to be wrong that it's a neutral move but simply moving in the fences does not mean a kajillion more homeruns if you're also making the fences taller. I think that's obvious?

And per some of the fine discussion here, yeah, no one decides not to go see their local team because some other team across the continent has a better stadium or arena. The Raptors are allegedly #4 in attendance right now, despite a bit of a horrorshow of a season (and despite the age of their arena). The 3 teams ahead of them (Dallas, Chicago, Philly) have arenas of a similar vintage, and 3 of those are a bit older. It's almost like that's not a big factor in attendance or profitability?

Anyway, the Jays will likely get a nice bump this year from people at least wanting to check out the new stuff; all the moreso if it gets "good reviews." I'm looking forward to seeing it in person.

Yeah, it's weird all the posts I've seen talking about how much more hitter-friendly the ballpark is going to be, ignoring the extra height of the fences.
The team may turn out to be wrong that it's a neutral move but simply moving in the fences does not mean a kajillion more homeruns if you're also making the fences taller. I think that's obvious?

And per some of the fine discussion here, yeah, no one decides not to go see their local team because some other team across the continent has a better stadium or arena. The Raptors are allegedly #4 in attendance right now, despite a bit of a horrorshow of a season (and despite the age of their arena). The 3 teams ahead of them (Dallas, Chicago, Philly) have arenas of a similar vintage, and 3 of those are a bit older. It's almost like that's not a big factor in attendance or profitability?

Anyway, the Jays will likely get a nice bump this year from people at least wanting to check out the new stuff; all the moreso if it gets "good reviews." I'm looking forward to seeing it in person.
The old OF fencing was still fairly tall but the new layout adds a bit more variety and asymmetry. My guess is we'll see more doubles and triples with balls off the wall, which likely motivated the team to shore up its OF defense.

As for Scotiabank, really don't understand the thinking behind the place being outdated or behind the times when MLSE has completed numerous renovations over last decade not to mention it's very much still inline with modern arenas with premium seating, suites, bars and amenities. All new arena builds have taken a page out of MLSE's playbook, not the other way around.

Back