It's a been a few years since I've been to a Jays game and sat in the 100 level, but I think those seats extended back so that the rear ones were well underneath the 200 level. In the artwork for the new seats, it looks like the 'new' 100 level may end at, or just in front of, the bottom of the 200 level.

I was trying to determine that from the drawings and you may be right. If true, it would make for a much wider concourse and allow things like the accessible seating sections to be brought "outside." Fingers crossed.

Looking at the virtual seat viewer, you can see more details on how the new 100 level will look.
Capture.PNG

The corner sections are looking much improved as the seats are now angled towards the diamond and angled up towards the concourse as opposed to sloping down. I think the amount of foul territory may actually increase behind home plate to allow for a steeper incline in those sections behind the infield. The main reductions in foul territory would come from the areas past the dugouts, especially along the baselines in the OF.
Capture 1.PNG

Looks like seats further back in the sections will still be beneath the 200 level overhang. What they'll likely do is remove the circular track on the concourse and make the floor completely uniform all the way around. Massive improvements IMO, especially in the OF sections.

Thanks for pointing out the seat viewer! I'll offer a mea culpa as they have actually improved accessible seating. They've added some new sections down the baselines that are out from under the overhang.
1691000926835.png

And added some in the corner, at field level. That's very new and very good.
1691000809376.png

Overall, nice to see them thinking a bit bold with what they can do, given the paramaters.

Taylor Swift just announced 6 shows at Rogers Centre in late November.
You think the team just decided they'd get enough revenue from that it's worth holding off on renos for a year is there actually a way they can:
a) Accomodate a full-stadium concert in mid-renovation or
b) Get the work done by April when they can't even start demolition until December

?

Taylor Swift just announced 6 shows at Rogers Centre in late November.
You think the team just decided they'd get enough revenue from that it's worth holding off on renos for a year is there actually a way they can:
a) Accomodate a full-stadium concert in mid-renovation or
b) Get the work done by April when they can't even start demolition until December

?
that's November 2024

• Wow
Reactions: PL1
Anyone hear any rumblings about a possible name change following the completion of Phase 2 tied to a new naming rights deal? I find it somewhat curious there isn’t more “Rogers Centre” branding in their renovation promotional materials or during the in-game promos (eg: if you listen to the in-game reads, Rogers Centre is never referenced. They tend to use generic language like “stadium renovation.”)

Given the enormous figure MLSE got from Scotia to rename the ACC, I wonder if Rogers would be tempted to relinquish their rights… TD would be the obvious target - TD Field? - and it would make a lot of sense for them considering they’d also get spillover in US markets where they have significant market presence.

It would certainly pay for the entire renovation and then some - and it wouldn’t prevent Rogers from still incorporating significant branding/sponsorship elsewhere in the building and during broadcasts…

Food for thought…

Last edited:
Since
Anyone hear any rumblings about a possible name change following the completion of Phase 2 tied to a new naming rights deal? I find it somewhat curious there isn’t more “Rogers Centre” branding in their renovation promotional materials or during the in-game promos (eg: if you listen to the in-game reads, Rogers Centre is never referenced. They tend to use generic language like “stadium renovation.”)

Given the enormous figure MLSE got from Scotia to rename the ACC, I wonder if Rogers would be tempted to relinquish their rights… TD would be the obvious target - TD Field? - and it would make a lot of sense for them considering they’d also get spillover in US markets where they have significant market presence.

It would certainly pay for the entire renovation and then some - and it wouldn’t prevent Rogers from still incorporating significant branding/sponsorship elsewhere in the building and during broadcasts…

Food for thought…
Rogers owns 100% of the team and stadium and they named it for Ted Rogers rather than for the company I don't think they have any plans to sell for corporate naming rights the most you would see is them naming something an official partner like they did with A an W or with TD sponsoring one of the new 500 level outfield spots and Corona sponsoring the other one.

Since

Rogers owns 100% of the team and stadium and they named it for Ted Rogers rather than for the company I don't think they have any plans to sell for corporate naming rights the most you would see is them naming something an official partner like they did with A an W or with TD sponsoring one of the new 500 level outfield spots and Corona sponsoring the other one.

I hear what you're saying, but it's actually been reported in the past that they've considered selling the rights. MLSE got $800M over 20 years. It's a seriously valuable asset, and if I'm Rogers, I'd be asking myself if it's worth keeping. There are very few Canadian companies with an advertising/sponsorship budget large enough to make that level of investment, but TD would be in that group.

Globe article from 2018 for reference: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/article-td-in-talks-to-expand-banking-partnership-with-blue-jays-sources/#:~:text=TD holds the naming rights,team plays its home games.

I hear what you're saying, but it's actually been reported in the past that they've considered selling the rights. MLSE got $800M over 20 years. It's a seriously valuable asset, and if I'm Rogers, I'd be asking myself if it's worth keeping. There are very few Canadian companies with an advertising/sponsorship budget large enough to make that level of investment, but TD would be in that group.

Globe article from 2018 for reference: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/article-td-in-talks-to-expand-banking-partnership-with-blue-jays-sources/#:~:text=TD holds the naming rights,team plays its home games.
What does MLSE have to do with the Rogers centre? I guess it could end up being called the TD Bank Rogers centre like how we have the CAS Ed Mervish theatre. Who cares really especially when we have people who still insist on calling it Skydome and say that only real people from Toronto call it that ( the Toronto redit boards are filled with people who say that all of the time).

Food for thought…
Rogers Center is the most stupidest name for a Stadium.

They could have called Rogers Skydome or something. Rogers Center sounds like a Computer Repair Shop.

What does MLSE have to do with the Rogers centre?
Well, MLSE do own 4 major sports franchises in Toronto and Rogers own 37.5% of MLSE... Executives def speak to each other behind closed doors / while playing golf...

It would not surprise me to learn that Rogers is considering selling the naming rights - given the US market is significantly larger, and there's no income to Rogers from it.
I would suspect that the team gets paid a "stadium naming rights fee" from Rogers as part of their income. Selling the naming rights could allow Rogers to make income while also maintaining the money to the Blue Jays.

Reactions: max
"Rogers Centre" has way less character than "SkyDome" but I dunno that "Rogers SkyDome" is any better and, really, it's still a better than like 1/3 of current US ballpark names (eg Guaranteed Rate Field, Loan Depot Park, T-Mobile, Petco etc. etc.)

Given what a mega-corp they are, it kinda makes sense to continue to self-promote but they're also a public corporation in a capitalist society so if they can sell the rights and make money by calling it "TD Field" (or "TD Field at Rogers Centre"!) or "Dairy Farmers of Canada Park" or [googles big Canadian companies] "Parc Alimentation Couche Tard Park" or "Shopify Centre," they'll do it, whether it sounds dumb or not. Personally, I'm going to root for something like "Westjet SkyDome." That kinda works.

Rogers Center is the most stupidest name for a Stadium.

They could have called Rogers Skydome or something. Rogers Center sounds like a Computer Repair Shop.

the reason why they don't go with something like Rogers Skydome is that "Rogers" will forever be dropped from the name and it would still be SkyDome. at least with Rogers Centre, everyone calls it that (other than the purists of course).

but yea, i can all but guarantee they're shopping the name of the dome and TD would make the most sense (even though Canadian bank stocks are getting punished currently). They own the stadium, the team, the broadcast channel, they can brand the heck out of the inside with their logo and product. at the same time, they can do a massive deal with someone like TD who is already all over the stadium and also has US brand presence and are making a bigger push into the US market.

i don't see any downside to shopping the name.

Back