I still intend to hold off visiting the ROM until it is finally complete; i'm very much looking forward to 2010.

I'm waiting as well. Walked by on the weekend and the area on Bloor looked unfinished. Glad to read that it is unfinished. Hopefully it will look better when done.

Oh, I don 't think the Museum will ever really be complete. You two should just not go.

By waiting until 2010 people will have missed Japanese Paintings from the Floating World, the Sugimoto exhibition, Canada Collects: Treasures from Across the Nation which opens in October, Darwin which opens next March, the loaners from China that go on display to coincide with the 2008 Olympics, Shanghai Kaleidoscope at the ICC in May 2008 and goodness knows what else.

A ROM employee told me that, during a heavy storm, rainwater was sheeting down like a waterfall over the main entrance doors.

Wow, what is going to happen when the crystal sides start collecting ice and snow? Some poor family is going to be crushed by an avalanch. They'll be stuck in there like flies in amber--might be fitting, they can match the dinosaur in the window.
I wouldn't be surprised if the museum has to close the new enterance for parts of the winter.

The Crystal's cladding is engineered to immediately break down snow and ice so it doesn't collect off the sides.

The case of the waterfall happened when the rain was so intense that there was enough of it coming down at one time to create that effect.

Actually this might be good news... if this one-of-a-kind dual cladding system invented just for the ROM... doesn't work... we could go back to Daniel L's original vision... the patterned opaque glass mixing with occasional transparency. Now that was good lookin'.

I don't think that is as far fetched as it may seem. Nobody seems happy with the cladding. Pedestrians on the street, people in the boardroom, members, Thorsell himself.

I think that within 5 years or less, we'll see a proposal to replace the cladding. Within a shorter time span, the interior will see changes with the ill conceived floor grates and screw exposed aluminum panels.

The exterior cladding replacement might even coincide with the announcement of a South Crystal.

yay more crystals! they should just incase the whole ROM in a giant crystal.

How about sheets of metal coated with pop rocks? They're cheap and will look and sound really cool when it rains.

Back