Sept 28, 2021

5E59B32A-3F84-4C00-B3E8-27B010DDE23A_1_201_a.jpeg

26D080ED-6145-4C65-A6C1-1A0343F1292B_1_201_a.jpeg

67E1E096-CD90-4D18-A050-2E6D015F6347.jpeg

Absolutely! this was a very challenging element of the design. In the end, a sloped precast sill was integrated into the panels. This proved to be very complex, especially at the outside corner windows

@ProjectEnd - as for the glass, I agree darker would have been better.

But give the Alterra big time credit for doing laminated glass and thus avoiding the dreaded 'horizontal mullion' - this is just about as good as window wall gets.

Would have preferred perf at the louvers as well but you can't win 'em all

Yeah...it tends to look better if one doesn't zoom up too close to the windows.
As explained above, the window wall itself is as good as it gets, it just should have been black.

Can anyone explain to an outsider why Alterra would simultaneously produce a lovely product like this, with high-end glass and some of the best brick detailing I've seen on any condo in Toronto, and cheap, ugly, spandrel-infested dreck at 159SW? Is it just different budgets for different price points/market segments? Are the same people making the the call about how to value engineer these buildings or are there competing design-focused or budget-focused factions within the company or something?

Can anyone explain to an outsider why Alterra would simultaneously produce a lovely product like this, with high-end glass and some of the best brick detailing I've seen on any condo in Toronto, and cheap, ugly, spandrel-infested dreck at 159SW? Is it just different budgets for different price points/market segments? Are the same people making the the call about how to value engineer these buildings or are there competing design-focused or budget-focused factions within the company or something?
159SW was sold years and years ago at a very low PSF. They don't have the money to do there what they did here.

159SW launched in summer 2016 at about $650/ft. Rush sold at about $1,100/ft in 2019. That's a whole lot of extra $$$ to make it look nice, despite this one likely reaching occupancy less than a year after 159SW.

I could've done without the top half of the building as it provides a better transition to the queen st low-rise character but hopefully the cladding doesn't fumble the ball.

...although, it looks like they're turning into the last rifts of The Spirit of Radio with that window wall.

The utility poles 3-4 photos up are a disaster. Hopefully, once blocks in the core get built out they'll turn their attention to buried electrical and better looking street lamps/traffic lights.

Since they're doing something interesting with widow wall and using higher caliber materials, I'm retracting this...
Yeah...it tends to look better if one doesn't zoom up too close to the windows.
...this really is starting to turn into a rare gem.

Back