Soda,

Wow! Thanks so much for posting. Please put more up if you have them or if you can take more.

Thanks again!

mlgn23a.jpg

Details are really standing out now that the buildings being cleaned up

mlgn23b.jpg

East side seems to be almost done and they're starting to take down some of the scaffolding

mlgn23c.jpg

One word, impressive!
Thank goodness for Loblaws, Ryerson and some stimulus cash.

i wish the leafs had stayed in here and not moved to that piece of crap they call acc :( theres only something like a 1000 seat difference or so and this facility had so much history, the thought of it becoming a grocery store sickens me

I can't wait to drop MLG for some bread and milk. The Outside sure is looking good! but i'm afraid Loblaws will make the inside as boring and sterile as possible like every other grocery store.

i wish the leafs had stayed in here and not moved to that piece of crap they call acc :( theres only something like a 1000 seat difference or so and this facility had so much history, the thought of it becoming a grocery store sickens me

As much as MLG is a palace of hockey and it would have been nice for it to be the Fenway or Wrigley of the NHL, it was dated and needed replacing. It had a 15,730 capacity, whereas the new ACC officially has 18,800 (though attendance is constantly reported as more). It also didn't have many private boxes, which is a really big money making thing teams need today. That and the facilities were just overall better.

As much as MLG is a palace of hockey and it would have been nice for it to be the Fenway or Wrigley of the NHL, it was dated and needed replacing. It had a 15,730 capacity, whereas the new ACC officially has 18,800 (though attendance is constantly reported as more). It also didn't have many private boxes, which is a really big money making thing teams need today. That and the facilities were just overall better.

Exactly. It was a money issue. They claimed it was comfort, but, y'know. What do they care?

I do miss it terribly though. It was a wonderful place to watch hockey. My interest waned after the move and now I have very little interest in the team. That runs deeper than the venue, but it's part of the reason. It really bothered me that they didn't take more of the old barn with them to the ACC, or at least incorporated interesting reminders. Record books, photos were all discarded onto dust covered floors and probably made their way into dumpsters. Insult to injury, they didn't allow anyone else to run it as a venue in its original state.

Montreal Forum > MLG

Both interiors have been gutted for future uses but the exteriors of the two cannot be compared.

There was a quickly touted plan/idea to expand MLG by closing Wood Street in the mid-late 1990s. Apparently they'd be able to add 5,000 more seats or so, yet be able to maintain the facades and other elements. The plan/idea never went anywhere, but interesting to think what might have been.

Therefore MLG > some mall

...that happens to be a National Historic site with an art deco exterior which is being sensitively cleaned and restored for future generations to enjoy.

Perhaps you'd rather see it demolished and a parking lot in it's place, or one of these dreadful proposals? (images originally posted by wyliepoon)

3683623406_3bbb51a836_o.jpg

3683623452_8b1c11128c_o.jpg

3683623670_fd9d3fdb94_o.jpg

There was a quickly touted plan/idea to expand MLG by closing Wood Street in the mid-late 1990s. Apparently they'd be able to add 5,000 more seats or so, yet be able to maintain the facades and other elements. The plan/idea never went anywhere, but interesting to think what might have been.

that would af been great if they did that add 5000 seats and some suites the leafs would still be playing at mlg its nevert been the same for me when the leafs left the gardens

...that happens to be a National Historic site with an art deco exterior which is being sensitively cleaned and restored for future generations to enjoy.

Perhaps you'd rather see it demolished and a parking lot in it's place, or one of these dreadful proposals? (images originally posted by wyliepoon)

What?? Of course I wouldnt.. I said MLG was better than what they did to the Forum.. MLG > (greater than) some mall (Montreal Forum)
I'm glad theyre keeping it as it is, and I've been vocal about it too.

What?? Of course I wouldnt.. I said MLG was better than what they did to the Forum.. MLG > (greater than) some mall (Montreal Forum)
I'm glad theyre keeping it as it is, and I've been vocal about it too.

My apologies, I read it wrong and got my feathers all in a ruffle :)

Back