Considering that MLG has been empty for 12 years, sucking the life out of the area, I think MLSE should think a bit less about their interests, which cannot be threatened by this much smaller arena, and a little more about the city.

Another thought, can MLSE really deny them the use of the name? The exterior is the building is protected by a heritage designation, and certainly the name is part of the exterior. Granted, its been removed for the time being but my understanding was that they were restoring the marquee to its 1950/60's appearance.

I agree MLSE sports is being petty about a 3000 seat arena for a university, but legally, Loblaws broke a contract they signed. They must have known before they signing that Ryerson was going to be a partner. Where were their lawyers?
This could put a halt to the makeover for eons.

Maybe Maple Leaf Foods can buy naming rights. Or heck, name it after Harold Ballard, or Martin Kruze, or whomever. (Eesh, I'm sounding Harold Ballard-ish there)

`
mlgllbo.jpg

I wonder if it's one of those schools that serves it's meals to the public for a nominal fee. I think George Brown on King does that.

Application: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 11 256789 BLD 00 BA Accepted Date: Aug 15, 2011

Project: Retail Store Interior Alterations

Description: permit for interior alterations to convert existing vacant space to new retail space - Joe Fresh Tenant Fit up.

It will end up being very very busy. Church St. has the highest liquor sales in Canada from what I remember. So now with a liquor store right in the village. Wow!

Back