News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Automation Gallery

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
The Toronto District School Board has started posting notices in some communities warning buyers of new condos that there may not be room for their children at schools in the area

The TDSB is in the process of expanding several schools. But Atkinson says the school board has no say in how the city of Toronto approves condo developments.

"We write back and say, 'Sorry, there is no room in the local schools.' And they go ahead and build," she said.
"So there is absolutely no planning and co-ordination on the part of the city planning [department]."
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2012/08/08/condos-schools-owners-crowded321.html

Im one thats confused of how much development is proposed and going up, and yet no new schools are planned

Meanwhile our city councillors are pushing for more 3 bedroom and family oriented condo buildings in their neighbourhoods, but again no schools are planned

The Cityplace neighbourhood
BLOCK 31 RESIDENTIAL & COMMUNITY CENTRE COMPLEX, scrapped and future development on hold...
It has a couple schools proposed for the past 20 years...still on hold while the city and developers squabble over the proposed site..
After 20 years Block 31 is still a crater waiting for a school..http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/0...ck-31-is-still-a-crater-waiting-for-a-school/

The lack of space in schools is more and more common in many parts of the City. This statement is in the City Planning comments on the proposed development at the "Greyhound Site" - 154 Front Street East (which goes to OMB in October.)
"The Toronto District School Board has advised that there is insufficient space at the local schools to accommodate students anticipated from this proposed development. They have recommended that the developer advise potential purchasers that school space is not available in the immediate vicinity and that signage be erected within the development to advise of such. It was also recommended that the community be made aware that
children from new developments will not displace existing students at local schools."

Does the West Don Lands include schools? I haven't seen any in the plans that I saw. Isn't it supposed to be a family neighbourhood? I think we might have some serious planning problems going on here if nobody is looking at the big picture.

In the interim though, it's not particularly far from newly rebuilt and opening next month Nelson Mandela Park School. Presumably what will be built will be similar to Market Lane School, which is also about the same distance away.

Nelson Mandela PS was built as a replacement for Regents Park/Duke of York PS which is closing so I am not sure how much space there is there. Market Lane was at 84% utilization in 2009 and projected to rise and my understanding is that enrollment is growing, perhaps even ahead of projections.

Last edited:
The problem also involves money - because enrollment across the entire TDSB system is declining and the board isn't disposing of currently underutilized schools, Toronto doesn't get capital funding to build new schools or additions where there are insufficient places. The TDSB are loathe to dispose of buildings or land that they may need again in the future. If the school enrollment grew evenly across the system, there wouldn't be a problem. The board has enough places system-wide but the empty seats are not located where the school population is.
However no community wants their half-empty school shut, even if it means that other over-crowded schools could get relief - every Trustee seeking re-election understands this and trustees refrain from voting to close a school in other wards with the understanding that the favor will be reciprocated for thier community in turn.

Last edited:
Nelson Mandela PS was built as a replacement for Regents Park/Duke of York PS which is closing so I am not sure how much space there is there. Market Lane was at 84% utilization in 2009 and projected to rise and my understanding is that enrollment is growing, perhaps even ahead of projections.
Oh, they'd have to do something ultimately. But day one, they can use the existing schools.

Nelson Mandela Park predates Regents Park/Duke by a bit ... and I think Park is the oldest school in the TDSB. Both schools were operating for years ... which does seem kind of odd, given how close together they are. I've scratched my head a bit wondering how you replace 2 schools with 1. Any idea what they are doing with the other school?

Though judging by the state of Nelson Mandela Park when I walked past on Shuter the other day ... I'd be surprised if it's ready, and I'd guess that they'll be using the other school for a few weeks yet.

Oh, they'd have to do something ultimately. But day one, they can use the existing schools.

Nelson Mandela Park predates Regents Park/Duke by a bit ... and I think Park is the oldest school in the TDSB. Both schools were operating for years ... which does seem kind of odd, given how close together they are. I've scratched my head a bit wondering how you replace 2 schools with 1. Any idea what they are doing with the other school?

Sorry - I meant the "new Mandela Park" building rather the public school. The Accommodation Review was conducted in 2010/11 and involved a large number of Downtown schools - Ward 14 Downtown Elementary Schools Accommodation Review

The Regent Park/Duke of York PS site at Regent St. was declared surplus in Nov. 2011 and referred to the Toronto Lands Corporation for sale. The TLC has to offer it for sale and other school boards/ public bodies can express an interest in the site. If no public body wants it, it goes on the open market. The process is outlined here.

Last edited:
Sorry - I meant the "new Mandela Park" building rather the public school.
I'm aware of the old Nelson Mandela Park Public School building, that is currently being renovated. But is there a new building as well?

The Accommodation Review was conducted in 2010/11 and involved a large number of Downtown schools - Ward 14 Downtown Elementary Schools Accommodation Review
Ah, that looks interesting ... if I can get it to open.

Back