Actually quite the opposite hence the building defaulting on loans.

Interesting, so I guess a lot of units went unsold (back then). I wonder how well occupancy is now- definitely a half-empty tower wouldn't have much impact on the vibrancy of a neighbourhood.

While Shnaider publicly stated the tower had sold more than $250 million in units, the bankruptcy documents tell a different story. Based on purchasers’ deposits, it appears Talon only ever sold $218-million worth of units.

One investor, auto body shop owner Gross, said the tower’s backers were aware construction started before enough units were sold.

“We knew,” Gross said in an interview. “We were hoping that time would be on our side.”
In public, the sales figure was constantly shifting.

Seventy-five per cent of the units were sold, Shnaider said in 2007, shortly before groundbreaking. A few months later, Trump said the number was 70 per cent. By 2012, Talon was reporting 60 per cent were sold. The next year, the company admitted less than half the units had been bought.
According to Talon’s bankruptcy, the company only ever collected $108.3 million in unit sales — less than half of what it had said was sold and more than $200 million shy of what was needed to pay off the principal of the loan.

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/...to-but-donald-trump-made-millions-anyway.html

I STILL wish we had the original 80's office proposal (with the spire) that had a lower north building with a heritage component. Oh well. that was then this is now :-(

I STILL wish we had the original 80's office proposal (with the spire) that had a lower north building with a heritage component. Oh well. that was then this is now :-(

Yeah the original version had a 10 storey building where this phase is going
bay adelaide centre 1.jpg

bay adelaide centre.jpg

Attachments

• bay adelaide centre 1.jpg
    bay adelaide centre 1.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 600
  • bay adelaide centre.jpg
    bay adelaide centre.jpg
    413.8 KB · Views: 562
Something very American about that 80's design. Would fit into Pittsburgh, Philadelphia or Houston without fail.

Something very American about that 80's design. Would fit into Pittsburgh, Philadelphia or Houston without fail.

If only it was as exciting as Murphy/Jahn's One Liberty in Philadelphia. This old proposal is wanting and would have aged badly - the emphasis of the horizontal, blech. Totally disposable.

AoD

The old Central Building from the peak of the speculative 1920s building boom was pretty ugly. It wouldn't have been saved either as fire gutted it.

The old Central Building from the peak of the speculative 1920s building boom was pretty ugly. It wouldn't have been saved either as fire gutted it.

I don't think 'ugly' is the word I'd use.

1929-f0444_it00211.jpg

It is staggering how less-urbanized we are now. Even if things have gotten taller as technology improves, we just don't build as densely as we used to.

I don't think 'ugly' is the word I'd use.

1929-f0444_it00211.jpg

It is staggering how less-urbanized we are now. Even if things have gotten taller as technology improves, we just don't build as densely as we used to.

I did say pretty ugly. ;)

It's just so plain jane with the watered down details. Maybe the first example of The Cheapening .

You don't want to build as densely as things get taller. It would make things oppressive. I like the scale and narrow frontages of old Toronto which creates a more varied landscape. The building to the right with the half raised main floor doesn't interact all that well with the street.

Back