Isn't Brookfield Place Canada Trust Tower our 1000DLG? I don't like it as much, but it's a prominent pomo tower with a spire.

Postmodernism never truly died, as 88 Scott and the countless recent projects around the world show (ie Robert Stern projects). It simply got subsumed into the greater "Contemporary Architecture" style and lost some of its decorative trappings, if not the massing.

Of course, the corporate exhuberance of Postmodernism has faded as the nature of office ownership has changed. I doubt there'll ever be an office tower of the scale or caliber of the 80s-90s in North America again- the newest and largest towers will probably be glass boxes for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:
Postmodernism never truly died, as 88 Scott and the countless recent projects around the world show (ie Robert Stern projects). It simply got subsumed into the greater "Contemporary Architecture" style and lost some of its decorative trappings, if not the massing.

Of course, the corporate exhuberance of Postmodernism has faded as the nature of office ownership has changed. I doubt there'll ever be an office tower of the scale or caliber of the 80s-90s in North America again- the newest and largest towers will probably be glass boxes for the foreseeable future.

Never say never - especially when (hopefully) the additive manufacturing technology flow down to the construction industry en masse.

AoD

Definitely hope that we see more post modern buildings even if on a smaller scale or residential.

Coming soon to a galaxy far far away... or maybe to Yonge and Bloor?

databank_cloudcity_01_169_e589ba2c.jpeg

Attachments

• databank_cloudcity_01_169_e589ba2c.jpeg
    databank_cloudcity_01_169_e589ba2c.jpeg
    176.9 KB · Views: 837
Don't know if this means anything for the future of this tower, but Brookfield has sold 50% of the Bay-Adelaide Centre to Dadco Investment Group

Brookfield needs the cash to bump up their EBIT. They got burned with Brookfield Place in Calgary - that 54 storey tower is essentially empty.

It wasn't built on spec. I think the anchor lease was the biggest in Canadian history before CiBC Square. It's 80% leased. Not great. Not devastating either.

These guys are a bit in a pickle with way too much space. CEO already stepped down in part to it.
https://renx.ca/cenovus-900000-square-feet-office-calgary-sublease-market/
Well yes. Cenovus was the lead tenant. Then they asked for a year’s grace on occupancy and I don’t think Brookfield is in the giving mood for another extension.

Still... that tower is almost empty. Brookfield took it on the chin in 2018.

Back