People here know the difference between a crane on a flatbed truck and a crane anchored to a growing structure. These numbers are obviously wrong.

I can't believe these people would even consider publishing such a list without first conferring with you.

I can't believe these people would even consider publishing such a list without first conferring with you.
take a deep breath - it's not difficult for a common observer to notice that there are more than 18 cranes in NYC. This sort of list should at least seem to pass an initial muster of some sort - and claiming that NYC has only 18 cranes active in a city of 8 million is very obviously incorrect.

New York has more than 18 that's for sure. Hudson Yards has three. The one in the back is Manhattan West so a different project a block away.

From yesterday.

IMG_2525.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2525.JPG
    IMG_2525.JPG
    253.2 KB · Views: 1,107

It's a consulting firm not located in Toronto. It's naive to think they would contact the thousands of crane owners in cities around the world to get an accurate portrayal of cranes in operation when it doesn't matter. No one cares. Truth isn't truth. It's just another internet list produced for publicity.

take a deep breath - it's not difficult for a common observer to notice that there are more than 18 cranes in NYC. This sort of list should at least seem to pass an initial muster of some sort - and claiming that NYC has only 18 cranes active in a city of 8 million is very obviously incorrect.

Ok, I’ll bite. How many are there?

Actually, you don’t have to guess because there is a group that takes the time to count the cranes across North America and puts out an annual report. But hey, why believe them when things are “obvious”?

Last edited:
Common sense is proof enough there are more than 18 cranes in New York given that there are five times as many skyscrapers under construction in the city not including high rises, mid rises and, low rises.

It states only 2 cranes being used for non residential in Toronto. There's 3 at CIBC Square.

Common sense is proof enough there are more than 18 cranes in New York given that there are five times as many skyscrapers under construction in the city not including high rises, mid rises and, low rises.

It states only 2 cranes being used for non residential in Toronto. There's 3 at CIBC Square.

May be they hadn’t added the third crane at the time of the report?
They’ve been putting their report out for years, I’m fairly confident they know what they are talking about. The New York Times trusts their number and they are a highly respected investigative news organization.

They’ve been putting their report out for years, I’m fairly confident they know what they are talking about. The New York Times trusts their number and they are a highly respected investigative news organization.
And what about the 3 cranes at The Well, 16 York. This list is so obviously incorrect.

Ok, I’ll bite. How many are there?

Actually, you don’t have to guess because there is a group that takes the time to count the cranes across North America and puts out an annual report. But hey, why believe them when things are “obvious”?
Skyscraperpage has 112 buildings under construction in NYC right now. I presume that the vast majority of them have cranes. Certianly more than ~6% of them do.

http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?cityID=8&statusID=2

Why are you defending this so harshly? I don't get it.

Frustrated subscriber?

There are thousands of ranking lists on the internet. They are produced to grab attention. The NYT as a highly respective global news organization notwithstanding, the NYT isn't going to put dozens of journalists to confirm or deny the list at the cost of millions of dollars for the one in 10 million people that recognizes it's complete shit. That would be a complete waste of resources.

I can't believe you're continuing to argue this in a community of experts in the field of tracking construction. It really doesn't look good on you. That's not meant as an insult. That's constructive criticism.

Last edited:
Skyscraperpage has 112 buildings under construction in NYC right now. I presume that the vast majority of them have cranes. Certianly more than ~6% of them do.

http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?cityID=8&statusID=2

Why are you defending this so harshly? I don't get it.

112 buildings under construction in NYC? let me tell you, over 150 meter for NYC vs. Toronto

NYC got 39 under construction for over 150 meter and Toronto got 31 under construction (not included Mississauga or Vaughan, just alone in City of Toronto) anyway my opinion Toronto been boom more than NYC lately because Toronto even not hit 3 million yet! NYC got 9 million!

I see only 5 cranes? you said 3 cranes? but to me, look like 5 cranes? forgive me because I am not sure what you talk about

The building in the background with 2 cranes is One Manhattan West. Not technically part of the Hudson Yards development though it is next door. Ed mentioned this at the top of his original post.

The building in the background with 2 cranes is One Manhattan West. Not technically part of the Hudson Yards development though it is next door. Ed mentioned this at the top of his original post.

Thank you for explaining more clear because I am not sure inside or outside of Hudson Yards :)

Back